No federal $$ for abortion, thoughts?

HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told me on ‘This Week’ the President will go beyond language in a House bill to make sure no public money goes to pay for abortions under health care reform.

Abortion foes argue language in the House bill has too many holes and that taxpayers could potentially subsidize abortions. Sebelius told me there will be no uncertainty with the President's plan.

“In fact recently the Catholic bishops came out, after the President’s statement saying that his statement about what he intends in the plan that no public fund would go to fund abortion and the fact that he has come out firmly for insuring all Americans and saying that it’s a moral issue as well as an economic issue and they endorsed moving forward. I think the legislative language will reflect what the President has just said.”

http://blogs.abcnews.com/george/2009/09/sebelius-president-rules-out-public-funding-for-abortion.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Stop making sense. It'll cause too many women here to respond in a crazy and uninformed manner.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 1:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• well the federal gov never funded abortion anyway and people still have thousands a year

its the status quo, which if no one knows the meaning, the way things are already
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I ♥ you Sweet-a-kins!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

laughing

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I don't believe this for a second! First of all, what about those rare times an abortion is necessary to save the mother (tubal pregnancy). You mean government healthcare won't provide for it? The fact of the matter is that they will have to cover at least some abortions!! They are going to have to start being specific and quit playing around with vague language.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• "HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told me on ‘This Week’"

Wow I'm impressed she spoke to you directly.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 2:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• "HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told me on ‘This Week’" Wow I'm impressed she spoke to you directly.

I posted the link, this is from her appearance today on this week with George Stephanopoulos  it was written by him as well as the transcript and video of the interview on the link I provided

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• good. people should only get abortions if it will kill the mother or something to that effect. I don't think tax payers need to pay for people who use that as a form of birth control.
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

__

What if the women are carrying a child that is retarded? And know they cant take care of it? And cant bear to carry this child for 9 months and go through w/ adoption?! Im sorry but when i got my abortion for that reason--it was the BEST thing i ever done!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• What if they already were on birth control to try to not have a child that they didn't want/ couldn't emotionally handle? Thats what happened to me. BC failed and I was up shit creek without a paddle. If I had not been able to get pregnancy medical (a form of Medicaid I believe) to cover my abortion I don't know what I would have done, but it probably would have involved risky behavior on my part to try to miscarry. Not sure if this is the greatest plan but I understand the appeal to most people.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2009