constipated baby

thank you all very much! yes she tries to poop but screams because they are hard balls when she poops. and her dr said its not the iron because the amount of iron in baby's formula is just the amount they need not to little and not to much. but yes i used to give her suposatorys her dr said i shoud only us them twice a week. since she is an infant. the formula she is on is private selection ogranic soy formula is soy better for constiationor should i use regular formula?

sesesmommy09

Asked by sesesmommy09 at 1:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• put a little karo syrup in her bottle with the formula or give her about an ounce of pear or apple/prune juice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• The iron in formula is badly asborbed and there MUCH more in there than she needs becuase its so badly absorbed only 1-7% of the iron in the soy formulas is absorbed usually, she may be absorbing more and its causing the constipation. Try regular formula if you want, unless there is a real reason for soy I wouldn't use it, the estrogen amounts in it are proven to cause issues in other countries....its only the US that doesn't give the info out openly.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• thanks yea ive done the karo syrup. that really didnt help at all. but haventtried pear juice. ill need to try that.
    sesesmommy09

Answer by sesesmommy09 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• oh really? ok yea ill try regular formula thanks
    sesesmommy09

Answer by sesesmommy09 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• how often do you do the karo, it has to be in EVERY bottle to keep her regulated
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I have a friend who had the same issues. The Dr. found out after many blood tests that her baby was getting TOO much protein. Have your Ped. check that out maybe that is the issue?
    Euphrasius

Answer by Euphrasius at 2:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• try adding 2 table spoons of karo syrup and some apple juice to her bottle, that should help loosen her up

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Also try Nutramigen Formula. try that first, see what happens.
    Euphrasius

Answer by Euphrasius at 2:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I would change the formula first.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 2:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Please, don't anyone take offense to this. But, go take a look at Karo's website. For anyone who does not know this, they specifically state that it is not intended for infants to consume. Although the risk is very small, there is a risk of it carrying botulism spores, same as honey. Personally, I would not use this for my child, or recommend it to anyone. I would switch to a lower iron formula, and see if it helps. Is there a reason you are using soy? How old is she? Any chance of nursing, or even pumping, since breastmilk is a natural laxative? Hope I am able to help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2009