Where were all the protesters?

Thursday's annual Census Bureau report on income, poverty and access to health care-the Bureau's principal report card on the well-being of average Americans-closes the books on the economic record of George W. Bush.

It's not a record many Republicans are likely to point to with pride.

On every major measurement, the Census Bureau report shows that the country lost ground during Bush's two terms. While Bush was in office, the median household income declined, poverty increased, childhood poverty increased even more, and the number of Americans without health insurance spiked. By contrast, the country's condition improved on each of those measures during Bill Clinton's two terms, often substantially.

http://politics.theatlantic.com/2009/09/closing_the_book_on_the_bush_legacy.php

From ANYONE? We were so complacent we allowed THIS?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I ♥ you Sweet-a-kins!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I don't know how to react to positive ANON,,,,,

blowing kisses

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• From your article:

"Economists would cite many reasons why presidential terms are an imperfect frame for tracking economic trends. The business cycle doesn't always follow the electoral cycle. A president's economic record is heavily influenced by factors out of his control. Timing matters and so does good fortune."

I think it's fair to assume that Clinton rode on the coat-tails of Reagan's successes, and the booming dot com era, whereas Bush had to deal with the aftermath of 9/11 and a major natural disaster. I also think that trend of unwed mothers and teenage pregnancies grew exponentially in the late 1990's and early 2000's, which contributed to the increase in poverty and low income families. Then, of course, the whole subprime mortgage deal and Fannie and Freddie, set up a lot of people to fall short during Bush's terms.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Lori,

are you agreeing with excuses as to why the POTUS wasn't responsible for the outcome of HIS policies?

and yet 7 months in you are condemning The current POTUS's failures?? are they not then Bush's failures??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Well, quite honestly I was drunk for the first half of his presidency, voted for him because Kerry sucked, woke up about a year into his second term, and have been pissed off ever since.

What you guys don't seem to get is that it is almost like Obama is getting protested BECAUSE we were already sick of what the Hill was doing, and it's just gotten dramatically worse. If bush jad a spending problem, Obama has an addiction. Bush created the ever popular patriot act, Obama made it bigger. I don't see the point of ramming through healthcare reform when we are so in debt the country makes my sil look sane.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Lori,

and PS, your forgetting, Reagan was followed by H.W and it was FAILING..Then Clinton came into office BECAUSE of the bad effects of Reagan and H W
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I think most will agree:
    Many in this country are fed up with the bureaucratic (sp) bs of the government both past and present.
    Most are tired of the failing economy, the lack of affordable hc, the demise of well paying jobs, the furthering of debt, the perceived lies, the war, the standard politics as usual.
    We only differ on the approach for fixing what ails our country.

I think the tea parties are a positive thing. Spread the word ....those in office (R, D, I, blck, wht, male, female-ALL) need to start listening.

We are all TIRED of business as usual.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Sweets~
    You must have had a bit bowl of logic for breakfast this morning. It won't go well with all the sour grapes you will have flung at you, but it is where we know the w(h)ine originates. :)

And, didn't Clinton come in after Daddy Bush--who had such an unimpressive only term he was soundly trounced in his reelection bid? This would indicate the American public was dissatified with 12 years of failed Republican policy.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 3:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Lorikeet told "the rest of the story" and lovinangels certainly put the icing on the cake. The thing we all are capable of seeing is the FUTURE affect of what Obama is now wanting done (Healthcare, cap and tax) and what he has already done (stimulus). But so many people today can't see beyond the " I want it and I want it now" mentality.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Then Clinton came into office BECAUSE of the bad effects of Reagan and H W

Where is the study on what impact CRA and the implementation of NAFTA have had on our economy?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2009