Why would some moms prepare lunch boxes when schools provide breakfast and lunch?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in

• The prices I have been reading are unreal... by any standards....
    our Elementary costs... breakfast $1.25 @ a reduced rate due to income it's $.30
    Lunch is $1.80 and @ a reduced rate due to income it's $.80
    High School breakfast is $1.25 (not sure of reduced rate)
    High School lunch is $2.00 (again not sure of the reduced rate)
    and to recieve the reduce rate isn't embarassing, it is soley based on your families income and wither or not you work or not every penny saved helps...

My suggestion is to become involve with your child's school pto/pta and their lunch issues... they can be solved and yes with good food being served to them...

It is just sad that there are many schools still out there not looking out for their students... I am thankful for the distract that we are in....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• well i know i'll send my dd her own lunch when she starts school if she wants me to, school lunches are gross
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Do schools provide that for free? When I was in school, and from what I hear, you pay for it. With our budget, we couldn't afford it. So I would prepare meals at home if my kids are in school. I can prepare a lunch for under $1 per person.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I packed a lunch for my DD last year even though the kids can get hot lunch at school. I did it because she didn't really want a hot lunch and preferred taking a sandwich. It didn't take very long to put together. This year she's decided she wants hot lunch so we do that. I'll do the same for my DS when he gets into grade 1 next year if he wants (righ tnow he's just in 1/2 day kindy so he only has snack time). Our school doesn't serve brekkie.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 1:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Because the school lunches are generally loaded with fat and sodium. So kids are not getting "good" food. I know when my son ate at school, they served doughnuts for breakfast. The reasoning was that it is only once a week so it is a fine choice. The problem is that my kid cannot function with a sugar spike like that without any protein.
    If you make your child's meals then YOU know what they are eating.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I have to because my kindergartner is Autistic and VERY picky on what her will eat. If I don't pack him lunch he won't eat anything at all.

Also I would prefer to pack his lunch anyway, this way I know what he is eating and can manage his nutrition.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Wow...what school is it? I guess it's private school because most of public schools don't provide free meals. I guess either those moms don't know there are free meals, their kids have food allergy or they don't like the food school provides.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 2:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Have you seen some of the crap they give to kids at school? Its disgusting...not to mention completely unhealthy. I will pack my kids lunches.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• "guess it's private school because most of public schools don't provide free meals"

ocsoso: I didn't say "free" meals. OP

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• At his current school DS gets a free breakfast and lunch as part of the curriculum (teaching them to eat at a table, manners, ect) Once he gets into first grade, it won't be free anymore. I can make a lunch for him pretty cheap, and school lunches are getting more expensive. Not to mention when I was in school, the lunches were pretty nasty, if that hasn't changed I wouldn't want to make him eat it. A sandwich, an piece of fruit or veggies, a cookie and a box of juice isn't very hard to throw together for him, and its less than $1 for me to do. When I was a kid I got hot lunch every week or every other week as a treat because it was so bad for me (fries every other day?). I will probobly do something similar for DS when the time comes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2009