FOR REAL.... WHAT DO YOU DO WITH A 2 YEAR OLD WHO IS THROWING TEMPER TANTRUMS???

SHE WILL SCREAM, HIT, PULL HAIR....UGHHHH SHE SOME TIMES ACTS LIKE A NEWBORN... I JUST DONT GET IT...

JAYLASMOMMY0607

Asked by JAYLASMOMMY0607 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• spank her butt
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I'm old school, and have NO problem with this. I do think you should try a time out - someplace like the playpen or her crib. Also, be sure to follow through with what you say. If she thinks a tantrum will get her her way, she is going to continue. I do feel that a swat on the butt, not hard, but enough that she feels it could be a final resort. It won't happen over night, but shouldn't take too long before she starts to understand the tantrums won't work.
    edcmyangels

Answer by edcmyangels at 2:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Ignore her. What I used to do is put my kids in time out and then walk away. I do not believe in spanking, you can't teach a child not to hit by hitting her.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 2:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Spank her butt and make her sit down. You're the boss. Make her listen!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• you can make her sit down without spanking.
    i was a nanny before pregnancy and this kid was so spoiled and the parents had been working on discipline so i had to too. and as you know a nanny can not hit another persons child, i wouldnt if it was mine anyway, but i did this as soon as there was misbehavior sat him on his timeout mat or if he just started a tantrum i sat him on his timeout mat

i would tell him why he was there even if he was screaming crying...look face to face, dont bark downwards

i explained i will start the timer for his timeout as soon as he calmed himself down

as soon as he was calm enoughie not kicking ad screaming, just sitting, crying is okay

then start the timer, 1 minute per year of age, and when it dings i come back and explain why he was on timeout and why he may now get up

worked for them and me
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Ignore the behavior and praise her a lot when she is being good. Temper tantrums are so frustrating, but it will pass. Good luck.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My daughter is 16 months old, and she started throwing tantrums about a month ago. Full blown screaming at the top of her lungs, throwing herself on the floor, kicking her legs...the whole sha-bang.
    Since I think that she is a little young for a real time out, I take her to her room and sit her on the middle of the floor (not against a wall) but facing the wall, tell her very firmly "no" and walk away. Usually she will finish her tantrum and come out of her room a whole new child. If she immediately follows me out of her room I take her right back in and sit her back down, with an even firmer "no".

Regardless if you spank or not, the main idea is to not give in to the tantrum. Punish if you need to, time outs if you need to, but if not, then ignore it. Telling them to stop over and over is only giving the attention they are looking for.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Another idea if you think she is truely hurting herself or others is to do what is called a type of bear restraint you sit criss cross and put her in your lap put your arms over her arms and one of your hands holds your ankle or jeans and the other hand holds your other arm to support it-- this way she can throw her fit & you have her semi restrained where she can not hurt herself or others and you are not actually grabbing on to any part of her body. I have seen this used with many children who are simply throwing fits and others with severe disabilities who do severely hurt themselves when in a rage and it works wonderfully. The fit is usually her way of saying she is fustrated and can not tell you why. So she is safe and still feels secure because you are there with her. Depending on how tall she is make sure you turn your head to the side because if she throws her head it wont slam into your chin/face. :) goodluck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Best advice I ever got was "the symphony does not play to an empty room". As long as she is safe and not in danger (ie-you are at home) leave the room. Does not always work, but most of the time it did!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I put my 17 month old in a time out. I have two time out spots in our house, one in the living room and one in the kitchen. He knows he has to sit until he calms down and show that the will be a happy little man. Then I let him come out. The first few times was a little difficult because he kept trying to get up, screaming the entire time of course. I would sit about 2 feet away from him and make him sit until I told him he was done. After a couple of times I was able to move further away and by now I can go about doing housework or whatever and he sits there. I don't time it just because sometimes it takes only a few seconds for him to stop and calm down, sometimes it takes several minutes.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 3:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2009