Opinions needed from pet lovers - is it time?

I have a dog (and 4 cats), she's almost 14, medium sized, about 50 lbs. Her health has been well, thankfully. She lives a good life, an indoor dog, fenced yard, free roaming in both. I was forced to sell and move from my family home back in summer '07. I really wouldn't have bought another small house, I am single and little income for upkeep, so would've preferred to rent but I was brought up that when you have pets, they are family until the end and so I ended up buying a house so I could keep all of them, especially the dog. About a year ago she started having more and more accidents in the house, and now it's to the point that it's every day. She seems to be having more and more trouble with the stairs, but doesn't seem in major pain, just age I'm sure. I can't make her an outside dog at this point, nor would I want that. I also can't block her into the kitchen, so I'm at a loss. Put her to sleep or continue?

edcmyangels

Asked by edcmyangels at 2:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Pets

• don't give up on her b/c she's getting old...it may take her a while to adjust to the new home (with peeing inside)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I wish that were the reason, but we've lived here two yrs. this past July....

edcmyangels

Answer by edcmyangels at 2:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• hmm.. maybe her bladder is getting weak, doggie diapers? or some depends, just cut a hole for her tail
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Yes, it may take her time to adjust to the new house. I would NOT give up yet. Maybe take her to the vet and they can give her meds for incontinence. If she is still getting around okay, then I would definately get help with the incontinence first. But, in all actuality, you will know when its time. She will know too. My guess is...if you came here to ask you are unsure and are leaning towards no. So, I would make a trip to the vet for meds. See how that goes.
    Anonymous

• Do you have a garage, or at least one room to confine her to?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Please ask the vet about incontinence. It is probably from age. Does she still get up and down on her own?
    Anonymous

• Thank you all for your answers. Yes, she does still get up and down on her own, although slowly. It is very hard to see her aging, how much longer it takes her to move around, even waking up, I can see it takes her a bit to really 'wake' up and focus. She doesn't wince or yipe, so that's why I don't believe she is in any major pain. I do also know her vision and hearing are definitely not that great. As for confining her to one room. There is one room I could try, but it is so small, and she's always had her freedom so it would seem to me to be confusing and mean to her.
    edcmyangels

Answer by edcmyangels at 2:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Potty pads, we have a little dog, and he has trouble with his bladder, got the potty pads and now all are happy, she might have some arthritis, can you afford to take her to the vet? Keep her as long as you can, it is obvious that she means the world to you!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• After reading all the other opinions here, I have to tell you that we just last week had to make the same choice you are faced with. At 14, our German Shepherd had been incontinent for about the last year, she was very slow to get up and down and though she didn't wince, she did hurt, she was just tough. We could no longer bear to watch her suffer and long to run when she couldn't. The decision was very hard on the whole family, but we loved her enough to let her go.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 2:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Kust- thanks for sharing. I agree, they are in more pain than you know. I would also make the tough choice to let my dog go if (when) she can no longer enjoy any type of life. Having accidents, not being able to walk- sitting around all day- that is not a dog's life. My dog is 9 and she is starting to show "the signs"- we are heartbroken to know we only have a few good years left with our beloved dog!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2009