Can someone clarify what one year molars are and so on because my boy is 14 months and has zero molars? And I just don't know what which molar now then when....help!!!

cornfed.23.16

Asked by cornfed.23.16 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2008 in Kids' Health

• The "first year" molars usually come in after the first birthday. That gives you a whole year to get them. They are the big flat teeth behind the "pointy" canine teeth. So, you have the two front center teeth, the two front teeth on either side of those, the two "pointy" teeth on either side of those, and then you have the molars. That will give you a total of 8 teeth on top and on bottom. Just so you know, the molars frequently come in before the "pointy" teeth arrive.

Sometime after the 2nd birthday, you get the 2nd year molars just behind the first ones. That will give you a total of 20 primary teeth - a full set.

After that, you are done until about age 6 when the primary (baby) teeth start to fall out and the permanent teeth come in. You also get the 6 year molars about then. Later, you get the 12 year molars and last the 18 year molars (the Wisdom teeth).
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2008

• Here's this:

http://www.drgreene.com/21_766.html

It says babies usually get their first set of molars until between 10 and 16 months. My son had his second set of molars by his first birthday, (he got his first four teeth all within about a day when he was four months old) so it just depends. The first molars are the teeth behind the canines, but the molars usually come in first. So looking directly at your baby's mouth from the front, you'll have the four front teeth on top and bottom...the molars will come in a space behind those teeth, and a couple months later, you'll see the canines come in between the molars and front teeth, and then the second molars will come in. Some babies don't get any teeth at all until they're as old as 18 months, and some babies are born with teeth. There really isn't a "norm" here.
    MrsGurt

Answer by MrsGurt at 6:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2008

• ask your dentist if he could take a quick look and see if everything is ok and try the teething toast it might help cut them easier. as long as the gums don't look sore or infected it should be ok. the regular doctor can help too see if everything is ok.
    Theoneandonly

Answer by Theoneandonly at 11:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2008

• Ahh, the "fun" teeth!
    Luckily with me, my son wasn't nearly as bad as some other have been while cutting any of his teeth. He's working on his 2nd year as I write.
    Babies and toddlers have 2 sets of molars. Generally, they have the first set of molars by the age of two. The 2nd year comes in by the age of 3.
    At your son's age, I really wouldn't worry too much about it. I just looked up some random "factoids" about teething online that says girls tend to teethe faster than boys. My son just happened to be a quick teether. He's not yet 2 and the 2nd years is popping in. He's had the 1st year set by age 18 months.
    If you are genuinely that worried, take your child to the dentist. Anymore, it is recommended to have a tot into a dentist office by age one and to have exams as we do, every 6 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Aug. 31, 2008