why don't they just let the American people weigh in on how they want their tax dollars spent?

Seriously, It wouldn't be that hard.
in the tax forms they could just include a standardized bubble test, the kind you fill out with a number two pencil. then you just fill out a) for yes and b) for no for each program you do or don't want your tax dollars going to. if a program doesn't get enough "yes" dollars, then they do away with it. Then they put "your" tax dollars in programs you support, and voila! no more anger over where your money went.

or we could just switch to a fair tax system!

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 2:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This is a good suggestion--but makes too much sense for government to do it! LOL I think many politicians feel the voices of the American people begin and end with the ballot box. We voice our choice when voting and the resulting victor continues on as our representative. Unfortunately, the individuals gaining office often eschew the interests of the people in favor of their own. (This statement is a generalization and not meant to define every single politician in office)

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 3:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• i like the idea of saying what you want your dollars to go to...thats a great idea, so then we would be held accountable for it. i like that
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I agree 100%. Your on a roll today!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• They do, it's called an election. You elect officials who you think will make the decisions you want.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I agree with the fair tax idea.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Elections do not work.....the elected officials never listen ....I will endorse lovingangels...I like her idea.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 3:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• "They do, it's called an election. You elect officials who you think will make the decisions you want. "

My thoughts exactly.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 3:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I am actually a fan of flat tax. No more deductions just pay your percentage. I also think they should charge extra taxes to companies that claim to belong to the US, but produce overseas. Really corporations should be bearing the burden of the taxes since they are the ones continuing to get their hands on the money.
    As in Haliburton, Blackwater, BCBS etc.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 3:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Thats part of the mess in California

"Democracy is a form of government that cannot long survive, for as soon as the people learn that they have a voice in the fiscal policies of the government, they will move to vote for themselves all the money in the treasury, and bankrupt the nation." Karl Marx

Guess he was right about one thing
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• They did, it's called an election.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 4:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2009