responding to baby constipaton answers

yea i breastfed for the first month hen dred up. now im on postpardum depression pills and have an implanon birth control so i can no longer pump. but the health dept told me if she is constipated then put her on soy. thats why shes on it now. she has always been on it. but she is 4 months old. thanks ive never heard that about the karo syrup.

sesesmommy09

Asked by sesesmommy09 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can use it with soy as well. I think it's a little old remedy that's been around a long, long time.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Go to google and read all about how bad soy formula is. It would be better to be constipated and be on cow's milk formula than on soy. I say this and I am a huge breastfeeding advocate.

You can breastfeed and take antidepressants and use implantation birth control. Sorry you got the wrong info. There are only a small number of drugs that are contraindicated with breastfeeding. I became very ill while pregnant with my youngest and developed several chronic health conditions. I took 11 different kinds of pills every day while breastfeeding along with IV gamma globulin therapy every three weeks. That was if I was healthy. One of the meds was a combination birth control pill and another an antidepressant. I also had to take steroids and antibiotics frequently. Then I would get yeast infections and would have to take meds for that. I breastfed until my son was 3. Many doctors knew the drugs I was taking and breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I agree with Anon- wow usually I don't.

I personally wouldn't use Karo because it used to have the same botulism issues as honey and botulism can kill a child, I wouldn't risk it myself. Constipation can be caused by many different things, not just dairy, if removing dairy didn't do it and using soy didn't solve the issue go back to dairy...its better than soy for children.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• The Karo company says NOT to give their product to infants.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:38 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I agree with gdiamante... DO NOT give Karo to a baby... It runs a risk of botulism!! Try scrunching baby's legs up to the chest and hold bottom in warm water... should help loosen things up!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Um... Soy is more constipating than cows milk. They gave you false info I'm afraid. And while we all know breast is usually best. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking all those meds and then possibly passing them on to baby. I don't feel there is enough research as to what possible lasting effects that might have. That kind of decision is up to the individual. We have used glycerin suppositories before when constipation was bad for DS. Talk to you Dr. first though. And I agree NO KARO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2009