What shows up on a background check.

Several years ago my ex husband made untrue allegations about me to the police and child protective services. I was interviewed by the police and by child protective services, so was our daughter. CPS determined that the allegations were unfounded and I was never charged with anything.

I'm a little worried that the allegations might still show up on a background check my daughter's school is going to run so I can volunteer in the classroom. The whole experience was humiliating and I'd hate to have to explain it to anyone, let alone my daughter's kindergarten teacher.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Go to your local police department and get a copy of it, it should be less than $5 and then you will know.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Background checks show only charges and convictions, not allegations proven unfounded. In some states they include driving violations.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• To the best of my knowledge, it depends on how deep they probe. For example, if you were doing a background check for military, they look at everything, even allegations or things that are on record that you never got charged for (trust me, I know! lol)
    However, when I did my background check for the medical field, the same things that the Navy found did not come up.

Considering it was several years ago, combined with the fact that you were never charged with anything would lead me to believe that it won't be an issue. I would imagine that they are looking more for a history of assult, drug abuse, child neglect or child abuse.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• do what anwer #1 says.
    PrincessSmasher

Answer by PrincessSmasher at 4:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It will probably be on your back ground check.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It might be there but the result that it was UNFOUNDED should be too. that should be enough for the school to ignore it. I would still pull one, and am kind of tempted to do so now just to see what is on mine and hubbys.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• if I have my information right, CPS keeps info for 3 years and then it's like your slate is clean..but don't quote me on that, because I really don't know. You were unfounded so you shouldn't have anything to worry about...I thought everything was kept private...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 4:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• You weren't charged, nothng should show up

ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 4:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It MAY show up on a background check, depending on the allegations and state. I work in child care and can lose my job if an allegation shows on my record, even if I was found completely innocent and the charges were false. You really should go to the police department and find out for sure. You could get a copy of the record for cheap. Good luck!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• The checks we run for parents who volunteer at the school where I work are only for arrest and convictions. Allegations would not show up. 

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2009