To those of you ladies who had a premature baby...

Did you have another premature baby? Any complications?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't have another premature in the sense of being 3 months early. My 2nd was born at 38 weeks. She was small, just under 6 lbs., but my son was born at 1 1/2 pounds, 26 weeks with him, had placenta previa.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 4:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• To OP, did you have premature baby?
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 4:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My twins were born at 33 weeks. They were my first pregnancy. My youngest (second pregnancy) was born at 41 weeks!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I had my first son at 34 weeks- with the second baby I took progesterone shots weekly- they helped out my particular situation a TON- I carried my second to 35 weeks- still a preemie, but WAY healthier and WAY less complications. :) TOTALLY worth the shots :) I have been told and read though that if you have one preemie your chances of having another are very high. Depends on WHY you had the first preemie- I did because my uterus is very small-- I will probably always have preemies.
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 4:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Yes 3rdDay, I had a premature baby. He was born at almost 27 weeks gestation... or at 27 weeks, depending on who's ultrasound machine you ask... lol. Either way, he was definitely premature.
    2lbs 12 oz, 15 inches long.

I'm pregnant with my second child, and I'm at 10 weeks right now, but at 20 is when my OB said that he wouldn't consider me a "normal" patient anymore. Seeing me every 2 weeks. With my first I had gestational diabetes and high blood pressure - and he thinks that I'll probably have it again. I'm just terrified I'll have another preemie. It was rough the first time around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Oh, and no, no one knew why I had a premature child.
    I initially started off going into labor at 20 weeks, but they couldn't spot my contractions or anything, so they sent me home with a "threatened miscarriage" diagnosis. Then at 22 weeks, I went in for a check-up and was 3cm dilated. I was careflighted, and they were able to hold off for a while.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Haha. I outted myself. :]
    I honestly don't even know why I had it on anon before anyway.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• With my first pregnancy I went into labor the first time at 24 weeks. At that time I was 3 cm dilated. Hospital time then complete bedrest and nifedipine 6 times a day I was able to carry him to 39 weeks. With my second pregnancy (twins) I went into labor the first time at 19 weeks. They were able to stop it. Several hospital stays, complete bedrest, and nifedipine again. I was able to carry them to 33 weeks and 3 days. The drs never have figured out why I had premature labor with my first baby, but did tell me once you have it once you are more likely to have it again. The second time around they watched me all the time. I was high risk at 8 weeks. Started to dilate at 19 weeks. Spent around 6 weeks in the hospital. I was 6 cm dilated most of the pregnancy. Went into labor for the last time when they checked me I was 8cm...rushed me to the OR for emergency Csection.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 5:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Cont from above....The reason for the csection was Baby A was breech and there was no room to turn her...and no time to try. They were born at 4lb 11oz and 5lb 2 oz. Only had to stay in NICU for one week.

Best of luck. Make sure your dr watches you very closely.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 5:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My doctor gave me a shot once a week up until 36th week to keep pregnancy going, so I wouldn't have repeat early birth.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 6:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2009