How many people do you know personally

who were killed in housefires? Why should we bother with smoke detectors when most people will never see a fire?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I know someone that was killed in a house fire. Two, actually.

You can choose to put a smoke detector in your house, and if I want them in mine I should have to purchase my own detectors to put in my own house to cover my assets. Sort of like health care, OP. I should pay for mine, you should pay for yours. Nice analogy, though your efforts are transparent.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I personally don't know any, but I am sure not going to get rid of my smoke detectors just because I don't. We had a fire in my house when I was a child. We did not have a smoke detector. If my dad hadn't let his friend sleep on our couch that night, I could have very well been dead. I will not take that chance with my children.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Sort of like health care, OP

I don't care about your healthcare. I do care about those who say I don't *need* a gun because they don't know anyone who has been a crime victim.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Four dead--one student, this student's siblings and mother died from smoke inhalation when an ember from the fireplace ignited the Christmas tree (this family only had the fireplace as a heat source in the winter).

I have also had a rental house burn to the ground and the sleeping family escaped thanks to the smoke alarms. My grandparents avoided a disaster thanks to a smoke detector--there was a short in the built-in microwave that started a fire in the wall while the two were sleeping. I have four in my own house--one can never be too careful when dealing with the lives of others.  Smoke alarms do really save lives.

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 4:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Is this in relation to the gun thing? Thankfully I don't know anyone killed in a housefire. Oh, and smoke alarms won't kill my kids if they happen to find it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I worked in a Pediatric burn ICU-please keep your smoke detector intact and operable.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I don't believe I know anyone personally that has been killed in a house fire.
    I have known more people that died in car accidents than anything.
    I think I have only known of one person to die by gunshot.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Oh, and smoke alarms won't kill my kids if they happen to find it.
    ________
    Neither will a properly secured gun. Just because some douche-bags have unregistered fire arms and uses them to rob the 7-11 on Saturdays and their kids find them loaded is not a reason to believe the MAJORITY of gun owners (who have taken proper training to care for and secure their guns) are not responsible and teach their children what they do and not to mess with them. You do know cops take home their guns at night right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

I couldnt take that. I am recovering from second and third degree burns on my arms righ now. I asked the dr, with as painful as my arms are, How did people take the pain when they were burned over a large part of their body. She said they induce coma.
    I don't agree with you politically, But I commend you for that.

And I know 5 people died in house fires. One in a car fire and my brother and his family may very well be dead now if my parents hadn't gotten all their kids smoke detectors for Christams yrs ago.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• 4:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 by: Anonymous Neither will a properly secured gun. _____Thank you. My boyfriend is a cop. You have to educate you children on gun safety. We have safes for our guns and are not it the kid's reach. We also have a lock on our bedroom door. I have children ages 14 to 1 and lived here for 2 yrs with my boyfriend and none of my kids even thought about messing around with his gun. Anyway, this was about smoke detectors so, I am going to keep mine in working condition. I don't want the first people I know to die in a house fire be my own children.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 5:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2009