Calling all grammar police. I have an emergency.

When does one use lie or lay. I can lay down, but I can also lie down, which is right.
Also, when can I use seen or saw. I have seen the movie or I saw the movie. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You lay a sheet of paper on the table. You lie your body on the bed.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Lay means to place, as in "lay the table" to put the dishes in the appropriate place.
    Lie means to recline, as in "lie down for a bit."
    I hope this helps.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• seen: I have, have you, he / she has,
    saw: I

lay or lie I think are pretty interchangable, I am sure someone will point it out if I am wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• You were right with I have seen or I saw. Saw is the simple past and must be used directly after the subject. Seen is the past participle and must follow an auxilliary verb (has/have/had). 

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Lay and lie are interchangable to a point, one might say to a dog, "Go lay down!" but wouldn't say, "Go lie down!" I think if it sounds correct to you, that is how you use it :)

Seen, past tense, used with have/has - "I have seen", "He has seen", "They have seen." - Never, "I seen it."
    Saw, also past tense, but used with I/we, she/he - "I saw the movie.", "We saw the movie."

Once again, I think if you say it to yourself, think about what sounds the best.....
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 5:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Lie means to recline, as Pnukey said above. You would say to your dog, "Go lie down." Or you could say to your dog "Go lay the bone on the rug." Lay means to place something somewhere.

I lay the baby on the bed. I lie on the bed beside her. I laid the baby on the bed. After I did that, I lay down beside her. I have laid the baby on the bed. Then I have lain down beside her.

Answer by Bmat at 5:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2009