Which is better??

I have a 3 month old at home who is sick.. I have already called the dr and he told me to watch for fever and if she gets one to bring her in. She isn't congested in her chest but her nose is so stopped up that she is having trouble eating her bottles. We have used baby saline soution to help break up the boogers in her nose because when we use an aspirator it just gets stuck and it can't suck anything out. That has helped some but it doesnt help when she is asleep.. I thought maybe some babyvicks would work but it says she has to be 6 months or older on the container.. So my mother in law gave me a humidifer and my husband bought a vicks vaporizers.. Which will better help to unstop her nose so she can breathe? The humidifer or the vaporizer?? Or Does anyone else have any suggestions we can use besides just the baby saline soution?? Thanks for all your help!

Faeriebrat

Asked by Faeriebrat at 4:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I remember being little and sick and my mom always using the vaporizer to help. I would try that first, the humidifier I dont really see being much help for that. I dont really have anything else as far as the salene goes. Just keep using it with the aspirator. gl :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• DO NOT USE VICKS ON A BABY!!!!

Continue with the saline and suctioning, but don't suction unless you HAVE to do it. Too much can cause the nasal passages to inflame and make it difficult for her to breathe. Take her into the bathroom and run the shower to make it a sauna....it will loosen the crud up and you can suction a bit more out (but hopefully it will start running down her face!)

Elevate the head of her bed.

Use a humidifier, steam or cool mist which ever works better for the baby.

Tylenol for discomfort.

You can use the saline drops without suctioning, by the way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• we have always used saline and a humidifier with a little (a tbsp) of salt in the full tank. Don't know why, but it works. Then when things loosen up you just wipe or suction the snot- they fuss less if you just wipe it off as it runs out- the suctioning is only good if they are stopped up and can't breathe too well. Elevate the head at night with a pillow under the mattress, and do not use vicks.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 6:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2009