Was it wrong of me to tell him how being with him has affected me?

We fight and don't get along but we love eachother. He is very emotionally and verbally abusive towards me at times. Today I told him that it was best if we didn't talk anymore and that I feel like I need to go to counceling in order to get my life back (I was being serious about this) because I am paranoid, insecure and depressed. He told me that he was sorry for ruining my life because he can't get his life together long enough (hes always depressed and drinks a lot). I told him that I am responsible for my own life, I chose to stay but now I can't any longer because its tearing me apart. He told me that he will leave me alone and that he hopes I get better. I told him thank you and he told me bye...end of convo. I am sure he will drink and get depressed after this but it was something I had to do for myself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• No, it wasn't wrong of you to tell him how being with him has affected you, but in turn... I think you both might need counseling. If you two do love each other, maybe a break, individual and couples counseling would benefit you two in the end.
    Of if you're honestly wanting to throw in the towel with the relationship, going along with your first comment, about needing counseling is definitely a good thing.
    I wish you luck. *hugs*
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I dont' think it's wrong. But if ya'll love eachother then ya'll need to work together. It's hard, I know( my granny is literily crazy and so is her husband). Ya'll need to learn how to balance and carry each other. Real love is hard to find. If it's real then ya'll should do what ever it takes to make it work
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 4:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• You did a very healthy thing. Good for you.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 5:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Please ignore anyone that says you need to work it out. They are flat out wrong. You need to figure out what you need, how you need it, and be willing to fight for it. If he can get on board, good for him. If he can't, well, see you later. You have children, be strong for yourself and them.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 5:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• No, I do not think that you were wrong. You have a responsibility to yourself to take care of yourself. That is all that you have done and you were honest about it with him. Good for you. Best of luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Good for you. You did the right thing.

good

Answer by admckenzie at 7:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2009