help! how much tylenol do I give my 6 month old?

She has a temp of 100.3. She weighs about 16.5 lbs. How much tylenol do i give her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is this with the doctor knowing?
    If the baby is that young with a fever - ER is the way I would go.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Go to google and do a search for a chart. You shouldn't trust anyone else to tell you.

Fever is a good thing. It is a body's way of fighting off illness. Bacteria and other microbes live and multiply best at body temp. When the body detects it is ill it raises it's temp so the microbes won't have ideal living conditions so the body can fight the illness. You may want to talk to your child's health care provider before giving anything for a fever.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 4:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_acetaminophen-dosage-chart_11886.bc

has a list of weight age and meds.
    according to the chart 0.8ml. I would call the Dr. and IF you havent already check her temp rectally because that is the temp they will want because it is the most accurate. Be sure to put a small amount of vasiline so there isnt discomfort and only put it in a little past the metal tip. Also try giving her a freezie pop to suck on and give her a bath, even if its a normal temp bath it will help. gl :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My doctor said you divide it out based on the weight chart. I think it says 24 pounds gets one 1.6 so you would do 3/4 of that. so 1.2 Make sure to look because I can't remember if the 24 pound reccomendation is 1.6 or .8 if it is .8 than you would give .6
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• www.askdrsears.com

He has dosage charts by weight.

That low of a fever does NOT warrant a trip to the ER with exposure to other (unknown) sicknesses!! It's a low grade fever and usually, doctors don't advise Tylenol that low. Call yours and see what he wants you to do.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I have a chart in front of me and the .8 of infant drips is the correct dose - that's one infant dropper full. Or you can give 1/2 teaspoon of children's liquid tylenol. Like someone else mentioned, that is a very low fever for a 6 month old. I would hold off on the tylenol, unless it goes higher or she seems miserable.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• 100.3 RECTAL?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• 1. ASK HER DOCTOR!
    2. Was that temp. taken?
    3. 100.3 is most certainly NOT an emergency room matter. Babies can handle a much higher temp than adults.
    4. Do not, I repeat DO NOT give Tylenol to that baby without consulting her doctor. It it given based on weight. DO NOT TAKE THE RISK OF OVERDOSING HER.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• first of if you took her temp rectally and its 100.3 she doesnt even have a fever she is 6mths now so unless it hits 101 then do tylenol. if i ran to the er for every lil fevr my kids got i might as well just move in there
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I would call the pediatrician and ask them, like others said 100.3 is scary for parents but in reality is not a high temp (though I always freak if its over 99 lol) but just call the doctor and ask what they advise... sometimes they dont want you to give it until its even higher, sometimes a fever is a good thing because it is the bodys way of fighting of a bug...
    good luck :)
    harteri

Answer by harteri at 6:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2009