how do you get rid of fleas on cats? Believe me i brought everything there is to buy!

the flea collars they will loose within a week

Terri986

Asked by Terri986 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Pets

• Burn the cat LOL. I obviously hate cats. Can't stand them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• U can try using k9 advantage for dogs I keeps fleas ticks and mosquitoes off for 30 days it is like 60 bucks for a pack. I use it on my dog and cat bc hey it works and its like if i just use it on the dog all the fleas jump to the cat and collars and stuff dont work so i put the dogs meds on her too.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 5:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• use, Ivory DISH liquid! It works like a charm! Wash the cat in it.
    airforewifenmom

Answer by airforewifenmom at 6:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• use dawn dish soap with lemon
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I am a veterinarian and please ----Never use products labeled for dogs on cats! Especially flea and tick topical medications. Cats can not metabolize some of these products the same as dogs and it will immediately cause seizures. Always use a product that is specifically made for cats. The best way to treat your cat would be to use Advantage or Frontline for CATS these will kill the fleas on the pet and prevent fleas from re-infesting your cat. You can get these from your local vet. Products found in the store generally do not work. I have also heard that dawn dish soap may work. Good Luck.
    BabyD09

Answer by BabyD09 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• If you can't get rid of the fleas on the cat then the problems is probably were the fleas are coming from. Is you cat an indoor or outdoor cat? You will probably have to get a spray for your home and do a good spraying getting rid of the ones there as well as on your cat. Then you could use a flea dip especially designed for cats or take her to a groomer while you are doing the house. When that is done then get a flea drop like frontline or advantage for cat but do not use the store bought brands although they maybe cheaper my parents cat almost died from the hartz brand and the vet cost was much more than just buying the good brand from the beginning. Good luck getting rid of the fleas.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 12:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• A few years ago our cats got fleas (from sil's house). My male got them very bad and had to be 'flea dipped' by the vet and treated with anitbiotics (he had an infection from all the darned flea bites). My female did not have them as bad, and we used either Advantage or Frontline-- that our vet recommended. Worked like a charm- did not have any more problems. Don't forget to clean your carpet, pet bedding and furniture too-- the little suckers can get on that and re-infect your pet.
    Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Don't ever use any of the over the counter flea products they can kill your cat. I would use one of the products you can get from the vet. Advantage, Frontline or Revolution are safe and effective to use on your cats.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Clean the house REALLY REALLY good, then spray everything down with viniger water. then the next day vaccum all of the fruniture and everything. That will help kill the fleas in the house. I did that three weeks in a row with my cat, along with giving her weekly baths and spraying her with viniger. By the 2nd week fleas were gone, did it the third week just to be sure lol.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:15 AM on Sep. 15, 2009