scripture meaning...

"He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me" (Matthew 10:37, 38).

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 5:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• God is first. If you put family before God . .well its wrong. It doesnt mean you are NOT to love or care for your family. My pastor puts it as God first then family. . .if your married your spouse then children then dad mom etc
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 5:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It means that you are not supposed to love anyone above God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• God is first and above anyone even thyself. but the cross part... i don't' know about that , why would a piece of wood or carving or metal mean anything to God. i think that is indoctrination of falsehood by someone other than Jesus who called to the sole worship of God the one he prayed to and sought refuge in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• God is above all,and is worthy of being first in our lives. As to taking up your cross,and following Him daily, He means we need to put aside the worldly things, the arguing, complaining, gossiping,whatever,and do His will for our lives,and let Him work that will in,and through us. It has nothing to do with an actual cross. Although, the cross is in fact as important as any other part of Jesus' life.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 6:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• If you don't love God and his son more than others then you are not willing to take up your cross and follow Jesus. When Christ enters your heart, it is like a baby being born. Everything changes, and the baby's needs are most important and you have to sacrifice your time, thoughts and energy to devote yourself to feeding this new life.
    Taking up your cross means Self Denial, the denial of your own will, desires, sin, and our human nature to take the place of God's Son in our life.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 6:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Maybe this will help.. The Message puts it in an easier language that we can understand.

Matthew 10:37-38 (The Message)

34-37"Don't think I've come to make life cozy. I've come to cut—make a sharp knife-cut between son and father, daughter and mother, bride and mother-in-law—cut through these cozy domestic arrangements and free you for God. Well-meaning family members can be your worst enemies. If you prefer father or mother over me, you don't deserve me. If you prefer son or daughter over me, you don't deserve me. 38-39"If you don't go all the way with me, through thick and thin, you don't deserve me. If your first concern is to look after yourself, you'll never find yourself. But if you forget about yourself and look to me, you'll find both yourself and me.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• so okay let's put it in this scenario. My husband doesn't want church and God forced upon the kiddos. So of course they are young now and don't mind going to church but there will be a day where they will wan to stay home Sat morning and watch cartoons instead of veggie tales and not want to go to church. Am i supposed to disrespect my husband and take them anyways? Force them to go? I don't want to lose my husband and my children.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 6:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Leave the children at home if it causes problems between you and your husband. You can have devotions and prayer with them at home. If He objects to your teaching them at all, then let it go and continue praying for your husband. In time they'll choose for themselves.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Rhanford, that is interesting scenario you put. In islam (im not sure about christianity) we are obligated to teach our children about Allah, and his books, his prophets, the last day, t he angels and his decrees the good and the bad. If the husband refuses, my duty is to teach my children. If my husband does not pray to Allah and worship HIm alone, my duty is to leave my husband. But my religion dictates that the place of worship for men is the mosque, while for women it is in her home. for me it is much easier. I am to obey my husband except when he wants me to do things that are against the religion. Is this the same concept in Christianity?
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It is my duty I feel to teach my children, to give thakns to God and to set aside one time period AT LEAST to worship and remember. But I am told to not leave my husband jsut because he is not a believer. God hates divorce. So if my husband is willing to stay with me I must not leave him. Plus I don't want to I love him and still hope someday he might come to God. lso we areto obey our husbands except of course when it comes to breaking God's law.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 11:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2009