Ummm wha?!

Does or did God ever wink at sin?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 5:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not sure what you are talking about or referring to....Maybe it's me, but I don't really understand the question, sorry.
    edcmyangels

Answer by edcmyangels at 5:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I don't understand either.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• huh?
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 5:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• No. God cannot look upon sin. That is why,when Jesus was on the cross, bearing the sins of the world, He had to turn away. He couldn't look upon it. Many think He just couldn't bear to see His son suffering,but that is the real reason.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• The scripture you are referring to is in Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent.

The time before Christ appeared the Jews were like God's first born son and were chosen by God to bear His name in the earth. When they no longer listened to his voice and obeyed Him, that is when Christ was sent and His life was lived out in example in how to live for God. Once crucified, now all ppl could draw near to God through Christ.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 6:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I forgot to mention also the portion of scripture before this is speaking about Paul who was addressing the men of Athens at that time. They were ignorantly worshipping God as quoted in this verse: Acts 17:23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
    24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
    25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed anything, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
    26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
    27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not very far away
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 6:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Yeah I don't think that God ever winked at sin, because he is forever unchanging...He NEVER changes... But I am begin told that God winked at the sins of the OT people because he had "bigger fish to fry" so the plural wives was winked at, the earing of jewellery was winked at among many things. Even the whore who helped in the war, she lied...but God winked at her sin. I don't know what to think of that. I am also hearing that yes god winked at sin in the OT BUT now his bar for his people is higher now.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 6:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• from every one of us:
    28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
    29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
    30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but NOW commandeth all men every where to repent.

Hope this helps.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 6:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• stvmen88

No. God cannot look upon sin. That is why,when Jesus was on the cross, bearing the sins of the world, He had to turn away. He couldn't look upon it. Many think He just couldn't bear to see His son suffering,but that is the real reason.

That's pretty cowardly and dishonorable since he sent him here to die like that.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• What a strange question. God gave us His instructions in the Bible. We are to learn and follow and know that every sin causes the same amount of pain to our Father. If someone sins, God hurts and if we are to then judge someone for their sins God hurts. Gods laws are not the same as man's laws. Jesus said for us to follow the law of our country (give unto Caesar what is Casear's) because it really doesn't mean as much. We are only to be here for a short time. Keep God's laws always. God does not wink at sin. Repent and mean it and sin no more for your very soul is at stake.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2009