Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does anyone know? Please need help with this

Ok my Uncle has had this chick living with her for over a month now and he wants her to leave..... can he not let her in the house until she pays up the utilities that she ows and the stuff that she has taken from the place?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (6)
  • I think it depends on the lease that they agreed upon and signed.
    Also, he might want to give her a warning first - usually it's either a week or two weeks notice.

    He might also want to consult with a cop or a lawyer - just to see what his options are. You can contact some lawyers in the yellow pages and get a free consultation.

    Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

  • she isnt on the lease at all and dint sign anoyhting but him and her have a verble agrement that she would pay the power bill, due in 2 days

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

  • If she's been living there.. I think he still has to take her to court... Maybe you should call a lawyer in his state/town and inquire. Good Luck.

    Answer by LyTe684 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

  • In NC, if someone stays for consecutive nights that equal, I think it is 7 days, they can be deemed as residing at the residence and required to pay rent, utilities, etc. My son had this trouble with his landlord. He had a friend come in from out-of-town and spend the week visiting, going to the beach, and just catching up on old times. His landlord found out the kid was there. He said the kid had to be put on the lease or my son would have to leave. We tried to challenge it on the grounds it was just stupid greed, but it is a statute. The kid had to provide proof of a lease where he was going to college.

    Answer by jesse123456 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

  • He has to give her 30 days written notice just like any landlord to a tenant whether she's been paying him rent or not.
    He may be able to get an eviction on her sooner if he can prove that her staying there is detrimental to his health, safety, and property, for which he would need a lawyer and take her to court.
    He could try talking to her about leaving within a timeframe that they both can agree on and have her sign a declaration to that effect.
    As to any monetary damages she owes for utilities, he can present her with an itemized bill, but he cannot restrict her from using the utilties while she is there, hold her property in lieu of payment, or threaten her in any way.
    If she moves out without paying then he can notify her of her bill via certified, registered, and signed mail. If there is no response, then he will need to take her to civil court.
    Best of luck!

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

  • Afterthought:
    If he changes the locks or does not allow her into the residence after she had been staying there then he can be prosecuted by law for illegal lock-out.
    If he places her personal belongings on the lawn for her to take away when she comes "home" then he can be prosecuted by law for illegal eviction.
    He cannot force her to leave unlawfully. He is now a landlord and she is his tenant. It would be in his best interest to review the landlord laws for his region so he won't be in legal trouble himself.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.