Feeding Dogs grease and fat...

So, my MIL was telling me that her dog has been throwing up all over the place and has the runs as well... because they fed him steak last night - which is fine by me. Yes, I give my dogs a bit of steak meat too. But.. it wasn't MEAT. It was the fatty part of the steaks, that they wouldn't eat, and the grease from their plates.
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but isn't that extremely unhealthy? I know they feed him bacon grease on his dog food... and he's pretty obese.
He's a standard size pug, and weight 35 pounds... That's 10 pounds less than my Boxer/dalmation mix. And 10 pounds more than my Beagle.

Is it okay to feed dogs this?

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 5:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Pets

• My dog gets diarrea everytime we feed her "people" food, but my parents dogs eat "people" food all the time and they never had any problems with it. I guess it just depends on the dog
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I don't think it's okay to feed them like this ALL the time. At least, in my house it's not. I think an occasional treat is alright but pouring bacon fat onto the dog food? That would be a no no here.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Obesity is just as unhealthy for pets as it is for people, and for the same reasons. It can give them high blood pressure or cholesterol. It makes them less active, which makes the obesity worse--a vicous circle. A few bites of meat every so often won't hurt a dog of normal weight, but too much fat can upset anything's digestion, and bacon grease all the time is VERY unhealthy.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 5:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• If its a small amount and not done very often yes. However its not unusual for dogs to have stomach upset after feeding human foods. Especiallyif its greasy. Its best to avoid it. But once in awhile I'll give the fat off of my meat as a treat. If the dog is obese as you say, then they need to stop feeding the human food and put him on a diet. Too much weight can put strain on the joints and shorten a dogs life considerably.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Dogs should not be fed foods that have a large amount of fat or grease ever. Small pieces of people food are fine in most situations. For some dogs it will cause GI upset with diarrhea and vomiting since they are not used to digesting that type of food. For other dogs, especially small breed dogs, it can cause a serious condition called pancreatitis. This is when the body cannot digest the fat and grease and it can be a very serious problem and requires treatment by a veterinarian.
    BabyD09

Answer by BabyD09 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Hi  - tell her that your dog can't have high fat and grease because he will get Pancreatitis.

They can't digest that kind of fat - PUGS and other smaller sized dogs.  EVEN a large dog will have some trouble over time ingesting such high amounts of fat.

Tell her you appreciate her wanting to be good to your dog but it was just a little too good.

If you need help - tell her to come and ask pet Nurse Marie about it.

see my site for free Q and A   ( Dog food reviews and Experts)

http://www.allexperts.com/ep/3799-96050/Dog-Food-Canine-Diet/Marie-Peppers-ask.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 4:03 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i'm a bit old school i guess. i feed my dogs anything and everything. maybe because they are used to having some fat in their diet it doesn't bother them, but they get alot of outside time and could probably stand to gain some weight. in the summer time, i always add grease, bacon and meat drippings to their food bowls because we have rattlesnakes around. and for some reason the addtional fat that gets stored in the tissues actually helps with the prevention of venom spreading throughout the dog's body if he gets bit. i lost one dog to a rattlesnake bite, and i would hate to lose another.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:13 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Any pets shouldn't eat table scraps. there digestive system is different then ours.
    Timberly

Answer by Timberly at 8:31 AM on Sep. 15, 2009