Can a baby's organs flip if you hold the baby upside down?

Okay, I know this sounds RIDICULOUS. But my fiance's dad's girlfriend keeps going on and on about how you CANNOT hold a baby upside down because the baby's liver or kidney will flip. I just want to know if what she says makes any sense. My baby seems fine, and I've seen tons of other parents do it. In fact, I'm sure my mom did it to me and I turned out just fine.
I tried to search for it online, and you would think that if it were a major thing, then a website would pop up on the first or second page, but I cannot find ANYTHING on ANY type of organ flipping or moving with a baby held upside down.

xoJessyxo

Asked by xoJessyxo at 5:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• LOL No. Those organs will not move... that lady is a whackjob. LMAO.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I have heard that too but only in the old wives tale form, never in any kind of medical artical. I don't think it is possible because of how your organs are arraged so that they fit against one another inside you and because all of your organs in your stomach cavity are incased in a membrane. But I could be wrong!!! lol
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 5:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• This is crazy but I have heard it from the older women. It is an old wives tail. It can’t happen.
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• LMAO NOT SHE IS AND IDIOT MAYBE SOMEONE DROPPED EHR IN THE HEAD AND MADE HER DUMB
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• We use to laugh at my grandmother all the time.

She said if you flipped them upside down their LIVER would flip around. It was specifically the liver....all other organs must be stable....rofl.....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Thank you, all of you, for confirming that this woman is an idiot. This must be an old wives tale or something!
    xoJessyxo

Answer by xoJessyxo at 6:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Um...if that were true then how do they all come out okay after being head DOWN before they are born?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• ROFLMFAO
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 6:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• But, even if this WERE true, wouldn't it be logical that it would flip BACK when the child was right side up?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• If that was the case I think most every person's organs would be flipped upside down because they have been flipped and help upside down as a child.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2009