Why does this seem so prevelant with priests?

VERONA, Italy – It happened night after night, the deaf man said, sometimes in the priest's bedroom, sometimes in the bathroom, even in the confessional.

When he was a young boy at a Catholic-run institute for the deaf, Alessandro Vantini said, priests sodomized him so relentlessly he came to feel "as if I were dead." This year, he and dozens of other former students did something highly unusual for Italy: They went public with claims they were forced to perform sex acts with priests.

For decades, a culture of silence has surrounded priest abuse in Italy, where surveys show the church is considered one of the country's most respected institutions. Now, in the Vatican's backyard, a movement to air and root out abusive priests is slowly and fitfully taking hold.

A yearlong Associated Press tally has documented 73 cases with allegations of sexual abuse by priests against minors over the past decade in Italy,

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 5:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The problem in the Catholic Church was exacerbated by the Vatican policies of cover up, attempts to avert prosecutions, paying off parents with gag provisos and continuing to employ priests in pastoral duties by merely transferring them to other parishes.

The sensible thing to do is make sure your children are never alone with a priest, no matter how respected he is. Chaperone your children - seriously.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:04 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090913/ap_on_re_eu/eu_in_the_vatican_s_backyard;_ylt=ArQmr2cFkG3LfggO2gcOy64Gw_IE;_ylu=X3oDMTJ2b2o1NTdnBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwOTEzL2V1X2luX3RoZV92YXRpY2FuX3NfYmFja3lhcmQEY3BvcwM2BHBvcwM2BHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDYXBpbXBhY3RpdGFs
    A yearlong Associated Press tally has documented 73 cases with allegations of sexual abuse by priests against minors over the past decade in Italy, with more than 235 victims. The tally was compiled from local media reports, linked to by Web sites of victims groups and blogs. Almost all the cases have come out in the seven years since the scandal about Roman Catholic priest abuse broke in the United States.

The numbers in Italy are still a mere trickle compared to the hundreds of cases in the court systems of the United States and Ireland. And according to the AP tally, the Italian church has so far had to pay only a few hundred thousand euros (dollars) in civil dama
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I don't think it is more prevalent in priest, I just think that it is talked about more. It is such a sad situation. Just like how everyone wants to remember michael jackson as a great person, but what about those boys he molested????????

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Because it makes good copy. If you (not you in particular) are in ANY kind of organization that involves children at some level and you believe your children are safe because this only happens, or is most prevalent, in the Catholic church, your children are the ones I would worry about. Pedophiles and sickos are in EVERY religion and EVERY walk of life.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Being celibate is not as easy as some think, and they know that a child will not tell. It is absolutely disgusting and they should all die! I know not very christian of me, I am sure the Lord will have a really long talk with me on that when I die. As a child sexual abuse victim, I have no compassion for such vial people. They should all be beaten until they are dead.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I didn't see ANY of THOSE stories splashed all over the news!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Until the Catholic church ends its ridiculous celibacy requirement for priests, this sort of degradation will continue. Many families used to send their known homosexual and pedophile sons to seminaries so they would not be stained by the sin of their actions through the forced celibacy. Unfortunately, this has created a more frustrated culture amongst the priesthood and the easy access to children has proven too much for those weaklings to resist. I am Catholic--born and raised--it is a horrifying element of the church, but as another poster put it, it isn't exclusive to the Catholic church. Many other faiths and denominations have had similar situations but the high visibility of Catholicism and the many instances within this institution have made it seem almost an exclusive phenomenon. Regardless of the situation, any individual abusing a child needs to be dealt with swiftly and legally so as to protect children.

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 6:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

Where was he convicted? I believe he was acquitted of all charges

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• In a word: celibacy. A priest we knew well (he worked with Mother Theresa!) turned out to be a serial molester; he destroyed so many lives and families. It is such an awful tragedy.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2009