Any advice for weaning an almost 2 year old?

I'm trying to wean my son who will be 2 in December from breastfeeding completely. I don't want to do it cold turkey as I believe that would be to detrimental to him, So I've been offering him more and more foods through out the day to keep him satisfied, but he still wants to nurse sometimes... Right now he's nursing about 4 times a day, I really would like for him to be weaned by his birthday.... If you have any advice on what worked for you let me know. thank you. Also No TROLLING please, this is a serious question if you have nothing of importance to offer keep it to yourself.

prettymama0607

Asked by prettymama0607 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe you could cut him down say one feeding a week until he is no longer nursing at all.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 6:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Take him shopping for of "big boy" water bottles; let him pick out two stainless steel bottles. Let him know how proud you are of what a big boy he is becoming and tell him often that water is what the big boys drink. Cut out one of the four feedings this week; cut an additional one every two weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• f ihave no adviced maybe drop one feeding a day. KUDOS FOR BF FOR THAT LONG!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I weaned my son at 20 months bc I was pregnant again. By that time he was down to one feeding before bed and sometimes for comfort. I just substituted the before bed feeding for rocking him to sleep. I'd sing to him too. By the second night he was fully weaned.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 7:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• When I weened at 18 months it took some time. We had dropped the nursings before naps earlier. For those I stopped offering and instead I would rock him sitting on my lap facing away from me and read a story or 2. Then we dropped his morning nursing and exchanged it for a sippy. We dropped that one on a weekend and my husband was the one to offer the sippy, that helped. I also had to hide my Boppy because he would drag it towards me whining. . . The last feeding was at night and that one took a few weeks. Week one I set our nursing time limit (15 Minutes). Week two we nursed 10 minutes then I rocked him on my lap facing away from me and read a story. Week three we nursed 5 minutes and then rocked and read 2 stories. Week four was only stories. It took some time because he would whine and try to "self serve" but he came to accept it quickly.

Hope it helps. . . GL and congrats on nursing so long.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 8:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Keep doing EXACTLY what you're doing as it's PERFECT.

You can also bribe him with a big boy privilege earned only when he hasn't nursed for a week.

But really? You're doing just fine as you are.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• my son is 23 mos and i'm not weaning per say but i would sort of like for him to be weaned in like 6 mos or so. i do sometimes try to distract him when he asks to nurse, so maybe you could try that. he will ask, and i will suggest a book, or a puzzle, or a drink of cow's milk. doesn't always work though but it does half the time it seems. i don't always try to distract him though. but that might help.

i think it's great that you have nursed so long, and i also think it's a good idea to do it slowly like you said. good luck!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2009