13 yr old and step parent?

I have a 13 yr old daughter and my husband is her step father. He's been around since she was 6. He is very involved with her sports activities. He has only missed two soccer games in 5 yrs!
Anyways, her father is in the process of a divorce, and her world is getting turned upside down, again. Step dad made a comment about her poor sportsmenship at the last game, and made that point in front of her father, who agreed with him. Well, she informed me, she doesnt care what he thinks and its not his place to say anything!
OMG! I was stunned! How do I handle this? He doesnt know what she said. I am at a loss as to what to do......Oh and her sportsmenship does suck!

momsbreak5654

Asked by momsbreak5654 at 5:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Lets see, you have a 13 year old girl, a troubled age no matter what, with an unstable relationship at the moment because one of the people she was close to is leaving, who was insulted by the two men she loves the most, and now she is defending herself by saying she doesn't care what one of them thinks? This doesn't seem all that surprising to me. She may also be testing him to see if he will leave like her stepmother did, or drive him away so he cannot hurt her like her stepmom did. I would let him know she is a bit touchy at the moment and he needs to take extra special care of her. I would also tell her if it comes up again that he didnt mean to hurt her and that he does care. I wouldnt tell him exactly what she said, only that she was bothered by it.. Sounds like she is asking for re-assurance she is loved by all parties involved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• She was probably just pissed because she was getting into trouble so she said whatever she could think of to be hurtful.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2009