I think my dog got sprayed by a skunk...

He's almost all white so I don't want to put tomato juice on him, what could I use if regular shampoo doesn't get the stink out of his fur? I'm going to give him a bath in the morning.

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Pets

• I worked at a Vet's office for a few years and this is what we used to remove skunk smell but remember it is a Oil so it soaks into the skin so you may still smell a bit of residual scent if your dog gets wet or if it's a damp day 1-Bottle Of Hydrogen Peroxide, 1/2 Cup Of Baking Soda,1 TSP of Dawn Dish soap,Rubber Gloves and lots of Towels Let the Mixture sit on your pet for about 10-15 minutes you may have to do bathe your pet twice with this mixture depending how bad your dog got sprayed and also may sure to be extra careful in your pets face with this mixture.Good Luck!
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 7:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Why not do tomatoe juice, then use some whitening shampoo? I use it on my dogs, and it gets red clay off their fur!
    ashleybgarcia

Answer by ashleybgarcia at 6:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• well, i cant afford new shampoo right now and i really want to spend time with him :(
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 6:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• We have dogs in the yard that get sprayed in Kansas all the time. We do a 10 minute soak, first in Vinegar, rinse, then wash with Dawn dish soap, rinse again, and repeat if necessary.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My best friend's dog got sprayed by skunks repeatedly, and we used the hydrogen peroxide/baking soda/dish soap recipe cited above. It did take most of the stink out, but you could still catch a whiff of it when the dog got wet for months afterwards. The tomato juice didn't do a thing but that mix worked pretty well.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• hun i'm so sorry.i hope u can find something that works to get it out of his fur.
    crazyangel_52

Answer by crazyangel_52 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2009