Wanting info/opions about having your tubes tied.

I am thinking about it, but my dr sounds like he doesn't really want to do it. What are your experience or that of some one you know with having their tubes tied? do you/they regret it? Have you had any pregnancies or mc since having it done? What do you think is something that the dr didn't tell you about it that you wish you would have known first?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Health

• There is something called Tubal Ligation Syndrome. Some in the medical prefoession say it isn't real, but you should look it up and decide for yourself.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 7:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Most doctors will not perform a tubal ligation on young women (under 30), as they feel you will regret it. I had my tubes tied after the birth of my second child at the age of 35. Even though it is a major surgery, and you will be completely under general anesthesia, it was an outpatient procedure. I checking in by 10:00AM and was home, walking around by 5PM that day. I was a little groggy and where the 3 tiny incisions were made (belly button, and either side of my abdomen) were a little "tender," but my doctor gave me a few days worth of Tylenol 3 to help with that. I was 100% the next day!

Never had a "close call" or any complications. You might get a little spotting--especially if you were close to getting your period, but other than that, it was a very easy procedure!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Never had any complications or pregnancies. I have regretted it though. (my situation is unique somewhat) .... I have two kids. Divorced their dad when they were 14 & 16 - when I remarried I married a man who has never been married and never had any children of his own..... we had hoped to have my tubal reversed - but found out that it couldn't be.... if you do have them done talk specifically about the possibility of reversal - It was 20 years before I regretted it - but you never know what life will bring. At least leave the option of reversal open. (my tubal was complete - and the doctor who did it removed so much of my tubes that they can't be reattached).
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• my dr asked me if i wanted it done and i was 20 and pregnant with my second. having them tied has messed up my period bad and its very clotty. i couldnt tell you how many times i have gone and got pregnancy tests. i only sometimes regret it and then think about everything that goes along with having a baby and i dont want to do it again a 3rd time. every woman is different and if u arent really sure dont do it. i wish my dr would of told me about my periods and i wish i would of known about the IUD, but i didnt. i know i could get it reversed if i really wanted to. do lots of research.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 7:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• No doctor can tell you that you have to be a certain age before you can have it done. I was in my 20's. They talked me out of it when I first went in. I had 2 children (boy and girl) and didn't want more. When I got pregnant with the third I told the doctor I would sue for child support and medical bills if he forced me to have another one that I didn't want and couldn't take care of. He tied them.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I think that it is a very personal decision and you should think long and hard about it. I had mine done at 23. I have had a few regrets but now that my boys are older I am happy with my decision. You have to think of it as a permenent choice there is no going back!! If you are even slightly doubting it DONT DO IT!!
    I had a tough time after the surgery i had a hard time walking and was in a lot of pain after having it done, i also had mine done the day after i had my son. Every person is different. Good luck!
    threeboysmama

Answer by threeboysmama at 8:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I had a hard time finding a doctor willing to fix me because I am only 21 but have had 4 pregnancies (only 2 children though). I finally found one. He did the Essure procedure on me. I love it. So far no complications. But I don't have my confirmation test until November.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:18 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I had mine done 8 months ago, and I already regret it!! I am 25. My doctor made me sign a paper, and then wait 30 days before he did it so I could be sure. I thought I was! I would give anything to change that choice.
    caitlinsmom1012

Answer by caitlinsmom1012 at 7:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2009