How can I get my 14mo to stop climbing on the couch?

My daughter climbs on the couch like nothing. She's up in 2 seconds. She knows what no means, and stop. She won't listen to ANYONE. If you tell her no, she shakes her head no and smiles, and continues. Lately, after telling her no, picking her up off the couch, setting her on the floor, numerous times, I give up, and put her in her crib to chill on her own, and that way I can lay down or do something else. Is there anything else I can do to stop her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• stop giving up....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• um no hun shes at the stage where anything is a climbing obstical and nothing you can do is going to stop her lol besides she sees you on the couch all the time and if you tell her no shes not allowed then she will get confused as to why since you are allowed. ive never banned my child from sittin on anything that i sit on or go into a room that i go into i treat them as if their lives are equal to mine and that if i go somewhere or sit on something they can to..besides whats the harm in her being on the couch unless shes not bein supervised which from your question i gather you put her in the Crib so you could rest and nap. i see you posted anon as to not get any nasty hate mail about penning her up so you could rest.hmm im posting anon because strong opinons get me into a lot of trouble..but hey as long as you get your nap in and shes locked in her crib unstimulated whats the harm right? (sarcasim in case you didnt catch it)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• She is at that age where she wants to explore explore explore, you can tell them know but they still want to do what they want to do, just don't give up and do what you have been doing.  My 10 month old likes to grab everything of the coffee table we keep telling him no, there are times were he stops and times just goes on his way doing what they do best, being little troublemakers lol

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• No actually, the boxes with e-mail, and posting questions anon both are pre-checked when using my phone online. And no, I don't put her in there so I can nap. I put her in there so I do something like dishes, or cook and not have to constantly get her off the couches. I'm not "locking her up" like you suggested, because I get her out, as soon as I'm done with whatever I have to have 2 hands for. It's not like I can skip cooking for her, just to sit in the living room and watch her every move. As far as I'm concerned, dishes and cooking need to be done, and it's perfectly fine to put her in either a playpen or her crib to do so.
    VonWiggles

Answer by VonWiggles at 7:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I'm confused. What is wrong with her climbing onto the couch? My kids were always so proud of themselves that they could get on the couch and play or sit and watch a video once in a while.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It's not that there's a huge problem, but he loves to run once she's on the couch.
    VonWiggles

Answer by VonWiggles at 7:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I think there is no harm don if you have to put her in a play pin, weather it's to get something done or even lay your head down for 15 minutes, toddlers take a lot out of you, having to get up to them in the middle of the night and just trying to keep up with them.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• So you're using her BED as punishment? Your choice, but I offer that many times when parents do that their kids tend to start fighting going to bed because their bed is no longer a place of comfort, but one of punishment with bad memories.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• i have had that same problem but i had an early bird she was climbing at 7months, i just put other stuff in the lving room for her to climb on,like a laundry basket,i brought a slide in(just the slide no stairs). i turned over one of those video game rocking chairs so she can climb on that.card bord box.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• At 14 mos my LO knows that she can climb onto the couch but we sit on the couch and not walk or run. I broke that problem early on. I have a short child to the climbing phase came late. She is proud that she can get up there. I am with you when you don't want your child unsupervised on the couch. My LO goes into her play yard until we are done doing what needs to be done. Last night I left daddy in charge while she was running around in her room and he wasn't paying attention and she emptied 2 drawers on her dresser. They are buys kids and you need to do what you need to do. Just be patient and keep and eye on her.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2009