How do you know your baby has acid reflux?

What're the signs?

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• throwing up excessively, spitting up excessively, projectilve vomiting, breathe smells acidic ( like throw up often) baby doesnt gain good weight... the dr will diagnose it but these are some signs.

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Projectile vomiting , Excessive crying after feedings, Baby just acting uncomfortable and unable to console easily, things like that...

Most GERD babies gain weight just fine so that is one of the least common things to look for.

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• She foams at the mouth.. like bubbley foam. And a while after eating some formula will come back up, sometimes in the same consistancy it went down in & sometimes with clear spit & the formula chunks.

She's gotten really fussy lately & nothing but time makes it better.

Do those sound like signs??

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• all babies have some degree of reflux-- it is the severity like lack of weight gain which makes you turn to medical treatment options

Answer by MELRN at 7:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• if a baby does have acid reflex its best to prop them up when there are sleeping

Answer by angelairelan at 8:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My LO would arch her back and scream. We would spit up excessively after feeding even if we were in an upright position. For the first 2 mos of her life she slept in her swing. If you think that she has a problem you need to see the doc.

Answer by coala at 8:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• What exactly do you mean by foaming at the mouth?

If you're concerned she has acid reflux talk to her pediatrician and if she has it severe enough they can put her on meds to help make her more comfortable.

Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Bubbly foam like she's making spit bubbles almost.

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My daughter has acid reflux pretty bad. My daughter would spit up over half her bottle between feedings, and when there was nothing left to spit-up, then she would spit up straight stomach acid. She cried a lot during feedings and afterwards and when she spit up. My daughter did gain weight well. The doctor put her on Zantac to help settle the stomach acid (it does not really help much with spit up). After she was on the meds, she didnt cry anymore during and after feedings. I did notice that she stopped spitting up the straigh stomach acid. Babies usually start to out grow it around 6 months, sometimes it can take up to a year but most of the time it is gone by 18 months. I do have a co-worker whos daughter had acid reflux till she was a little over 8 years old. Good Luck and if you have any questions, you can message me.

Answer by vickwu at 10:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Back arching and a painful sounding cry. Not all reflux babies throw up much, or at all. My first had silent reflux. He was in constant pain, but never threw up. He would cry constantly and when he tried to eat, he would pull off and arch backward screaming as soon as my milk let down. My youngest had reflux and threw up more. If your first refluxer is a boy, the odds of your second child having reflux is something like 90%, so I was more prepared the second time around.

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2009