how do u cope with having a child who looks for her daddy all the time and crys for him

emmasmommy615

Asked by emmasmommy615 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It doesn't bother me, I am with her the majority of the day, and don't feel insecure if she crys at times for him, or asks for him. I don't do anything to cope, she only does cry for him if she gets hurt, or in trouble.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 7:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• mine did it for a while and now he just asks "where's daddy? at work huh?"
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Why is she doing it? Is he gone as in not returning, gone as in not returning for a period of time, gone as in gone to work?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• When my boys were toddlers/preschoolers and conscious of Daddy coming and going for work--sometimes 12 hour days, and a few business travel overnights, I made sure to break out the photo album and talk about pictures of us and Daddy having fun.

When my husband had to work late or travel, and wouldn't be there to tuck them into bed, I had my husband tell them a bedtime story over the phone or at least chat for a few minutes before they went to bed. If he had time during the day to call, he would.

We would also make special arts and crafts gifts for him as well. This gave them a nice activity to do while thinking about their father, and they looked forward to when he came home so he could see what they made him! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I remember that not too long ago, it was All Mom All The Time...and Dad was the one left out.

At least, that' show it worked here.

Dad's still top dog in the house with my ten year old...but I'm fine with that.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• When I take anything away or we leave I have taught her that see you later means that you will get to see it again. So when I leave for work or Daddy leaves we say "See you later, bye bye" and wave. This works very well for us.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• If it's just the case of daddy's off at work for the day, just calmly reassure her that daddy's at work but that he'll be home later. If it's possible, call him and let him talk to her on the phone at some point during the day.
    Distraction is your biggest ally so try to keep her busy during the day and I'm sure she'll stop crying for him.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• i gave my daughter a laminated picture of her daddy (hes in iraq for a year) and when she starts to miss him she looks for the picture gives it a kiss puts it back and seems to feel better usually she will come and cuddle with me.
    TragicEndingz

Answer by TragicEndingz at 9:34 AM on Sep. 14, 2009