eating with a spoon....

When did your little one start feeding themselves with a spoon or fork or anything but hands?? just curious?? my parents are wondering when my daughter will start using one. She is a year old.

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 7:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• wow if my son used one at a year old i wouldnt have to throw away so many nice outfits becuase of stains lol mine is 2.5yrs old and still kinda uses his hands..its a motor skill they have to learn in their own time..she may not eat with one till shes atleast 2yrs old and if it bothers them that she eats with her hands they can eat someplace else..did they come out of the womb eating with utensils i dont think so lol...good luck
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 8:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• i have always givin my lil one a spork,but she just started at 14 months realy getting food to stay on it,befor she would try and give up
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Mine actually started tonight. I can put the food on the spoon and then she puts in her mouth. I am so excited. She is 14 1/2 mos old. It takes time and patience.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• mine's 23 months and I still have to remind him to use his fork or spoon. For him it's just faster to use his hands. Personally I like the Parent Choice spoon/fork set like the take & toss. They have a good size handle for gripping and the spoon is great for picking up cheerios.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My son is 17 months and does really good with a spoon......if what he is eating has a mushy consistency.....mashed potatoes, oatmeal, insides of chicken potpie an tacos. But pieces of chicken or egg or anything in big clumps he just chases around the tray! But the problem is that when he is finished...and with no warning.....he flips his bowl over in his tray and eats a few bites with his hands. If you are worried about messes there is nothing wrong with naked eating! LOL. Without practice they will never learn! I use the kid plastic spoons and forks that are wide. The little narrow ones are really difficult for him to keep stuff on!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• mine started before 1 yr old
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It's actually easier for children to learn to use a fork first. Think about it: it's easier to stab at the food and get it to the mouth than it is to "scoop, scrape, and deliver" with a spoon. So give her a fork and spoon at each meal, let her practice/experiment and she'll get the hang of it. Thicker foods work better for learning with a spoon. Cheerios mixed in yogurt is a great starter breakfast.

My boys started with table food at 11 mos. I gave them both utinsils but they didn't really get the hang of them until between 15 and 18 mos and it wasn't until around 2 that they started using them consistently.
    So, the next time your parents give you a hard time about it, just tell them you're working on it and remind them that she's just a year old.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My DD started using a fork around 14 mos. She's just mastering the spoon at 22 mos, but still likes to use her hands.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2009