Disaplining a 13mo old

My daughter will be 13 mo on the 21st. She already has a BIG attitude. If I am holding her and she is sleepy and offer her a sippy cup, she'll wave her arms everywhere and sometime they hit me. She does this anytime she doesnt want something. Ill grab her arm and tell her "we dont hit mommy. Its not nice. It hurts". This has not worked for me. So any tips on disaplining a 13mo old? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• From what I've read, they really don't understand any rules until around 18 months of age. So hitting her hand or yelling is only going to teach her hitting and yelling are okay. Or it might stop her from doing it, but only because she's afraid. It won't really teach her why she should not do it (because it hurts you). They do things to test you to see if you'll react the same way. Sounds like what you are doing (as long as you're not too forceful) is the way to go. Just stay consistent. She will eventually get it. What might work is just breaking eye contact with her and set her down on the floor. Put the sippy away and just let her do her own thing and you do yours. Try again in a bit. Don't stress. Good luck.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 8:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• it sounds like that is her way of telling u she doesnt want it,mabe she isnt trying to hit u. i tap my lil ones bottom or hand(not hard) just enough to hurt her feelings,and say see its not nice to hit,no hit
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I actually decided to pinch back, bite back and pop hands. This is a discipline technique that works for us. She hasn't bitten us or pinched since we started this. I want to teach that this hurts and we can't do that. I pop back when she hits b/c I want to reinforce that it hurts. Many people don't believe in this, but I have found that it works for us.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• my huspand belives in biting back,but i have boobed my lil ones mouth when she bites,she has only biten me once,when she goes to bite me i say no bite,and it works
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• agree with MaMaMo531
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I refuse to hit my DD for hitting me. I do give her a swat on the butt if she's misbehaving or not listening, but it seems counter productive to hit a child after they hit you, then tell them not to hit.

If she won't stop waving her arms and smacking you while you're holding her, put her down. She probably will cry. Tell her, "We don't hit mommy, that hurts." Give her a minute then try it again. Repetition is key and so is redirection. Show her nice touches. HTH, as it really helps me.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I have a 13 month old boy. He is starting to smack our pets, so I'm thinking that his baby-sitter smacks him and I don't agree. I guess what I'm saying is that your babies' personality is
    slow to warm and so what you are doing is fine.
    firsttimemot444

Answer by firsttimemot444 at 8:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• A sleepy child will behave differently than a well rested child. When she's tired, if she waves her arms, pushes away and hits you, it's accidental. Just calmly but firmly tell her "no hitting" and move on (perhaps put her down for a nap if it's that time of day or just let her be).

If she's well rested and it's not near nap/bed time and she hits/bites try this time out technique: tell her "no hitting" then hold her in your lap facing away from you for one minute, then repeat "no hitting", give her a kiss, and move on.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Thank you everyone for answering. I guess Ill just have to do what I have been doing and wait it out until she gets it. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My ds just turned one last week and hasn't done any biting or hitting yet, thank God! He does try to grab for sunglasses or eyeglasses, and at that time dh or I will grab his hand firmly and say, "No!" Unfortunately we end up doing this like 10 times in a row before he gets the messgae, by then he tires of it. I don't think hitting a child for hitting you makes any sense, and at 13 months it seems a bit too young for them to understand. Just my opinion.....
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 9:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2009