will i ever be ok again or will i hurt with migrains for life?

Went to the Er today for my migrains. I strated geting this migrain attack at 12am, spent my whole day at the ER only for them to give me some morphine which i couldn't finish because i broke out in a rash, so they had to stop the shot. I left with a prescription of a medicine with BUTALBITAL, Caffeine, Tylonal. Didn't work i am stuck a wake in agoinizing pain. What do i do now?

jesusgirl99

Asked by jesusgirl99 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Health

• there is an art form to treating migraines, I take something called maxalt (and its wonderful) but there is a learning curve with migraines you need to identify your triggers and avoid them as well as notice when a migraine is beginning to start and begin treatment before it gets out of hand morphine is a quick fix but narcotics will leave you feeling worse when they wear off. invest in a massaging shower head and when you feel a migraine start to come on switch it to pulsate sit on teh floor of your shower and have someone hold the spray like 2 inches from your head so it can massage your scalp neck and shoulders (this has saved me many times) excedrin tension headache also worked well for me in teh early stages of a migraine you will find you will also probably need something to calm your stomach when you have a migraine so you can keep your medications down cont
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• they also seem to come in waves I struggled with horriffic migraines for months at a time and then for months Id have nothing you need to make an appointment with a nuerologist to discuss teh best course of treament and try a few different medications to see what works ice packs and peppermint oil under my nostrils also helped but definitely avoid narcotics avoid dehydration and if you carry tension in your neck and shoulders invest in a hot pack to soothe the tensed muscles and or a handheld massager or weekly massage it is a long road initially to get in the groove of learning how to treat them but in time you will find it becomes managable and you are able to go on with your life good luck!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• i had terrible pains and it felt as though my head would explode. just thinking hurt. I had a crack tooth that went bad. So try a dentist or ask your doctor for antibiotics. Make sure you are not allergic to any antibiotics, I'm on penicillin so far so good and will get the tooth fix. Natures antibiotic is acidophiles but when it get that bad it my not work. All it my now show up on an XRay.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I've had migraines now for 18 yrs. this month - and have had bad headaches since I was a child. When I get them, I throw up until there isn't anything left in my stomach and continue with dry heaves anywhere from 2-8+ hrs., the pain is just terrible obviously. I've been checked, MRI and cat scan, both were clear, and I have tried cutting out all sorts of different "triggers" over the years to no avail. When I do have to go to the ER they give me demerol and something thast starts with a 'P' for the vomiting-wow, they gave you morphine?!? Fortunately, I don't get them tons, anywhere from 3-8 times a yr. My mom did get the type of migraines called cluster migraines, and here's the GOOD news for you, she did not have them for life, only a couple of years. Each person is different. Try not to worry. Also, be sure to take the med AS SOON AS you feel the headache starting, very important. I take that med and it does help.
    edcmyangels

Answer by edcmyangels at 8:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• KLONOPIN taken daily helps people stop migraines but it's pricey and you get short term memory loss but it works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Many migraines are triggered by foods. try keeping a food diary or (even better) do an elimination diet to try to determine your food triggers. Common migraine trigger foods (not a complete list) are chocolate, nuts, vinegar, nitrates, food dyes, cheese.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Maxalt didn't work for me, but Imitrex did. Once I lost my insurance, I used the peppermint oil on my temples, neck, and under my nose. When I first tried it, I only did because I was DESPERATE. Didn't take it away, but did calm it enough for me to go to sleep. Then I tried Inderal, which is a blood pressure medicine. It cut my migraines down to maybe once a year. Since I came off birth control, I have not had ANY
    caitlinsmom1012

Answer by caitlinsmom1012 at 7:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2009