Screaching

My 13 month old screaches at the top of his lungs. He's been doing it since he was about 6 months but stopped for a while. Now he does it pretty frequently. It's not when he cries or anything, he just does it. It's really ear piercing and actually starting to drive me crazy. Nobody else I know has ever heard of a kid doing this this often and this loud. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to teach him not to do it other than telling him "no" which is not working?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• screams and screeches are the only way that they can let you know that they are upset, frustrated, or overwhelmed. the best thing that i could do for my daughter when she was this age was to make sure she was in a safe place (she was a throw yourself around tantrum kid) and let her finish her screaming.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 9:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• but he doesn't do it when he's mad or frustrated! he does it all the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It's completely normal. He's just finding his voice and experimenting with it. He may also be doing it to try to get a reaction out of you so try to remain calm and neutral about it. You really won't be able to teach him about "indoor" and "outdoor" voices until between age 2 or 3.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My son did that as well. We use to refer to them as "volume checks"! If I tried to quiet him, he'd laugh and keep on going. I found ignoring them worked best. If we were out someplace, I'd try to ask him to quiet down. you might also try making a game of seeing how quietly he can go it.. Whisper to him and see if he can whisper back. (Kids take longer to learn to talk softly but it might redirect his attention to a new game.)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:13 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• my 15month old does it all the time too,espeacily when she is happy and ruuning around,i just tell her,shhh, be quite,works sometimes,ocupie them with something.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2009