Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

wedding officiants????

I was googling and came across a site that said if we were on a budget we could get one of our closest friends to get licensed to marry us. I'm not certain of the laws here in VA. Have anyone heard of this? We are having a secular(non-religious) wedding.

Answer Question

Asked by mama28th at 9:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 2 (10 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Check your state's official website regarding marriages (often found under departments such as Health and Human Services) to see if the state offers a 24-hour officiant license. Some states will permit a family member or close friend to perform the wedding ceremony because the bride and groom may want the ceremony to be performed by someone close to them. The Marriage Laws website (below) can help you make this determination.


    Answer by JoyandLove at 9:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

  • Yes, it's a 1 day license.

    Answer by EireLass at 9:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

  • Are you talking about the marriage license or are you talking about getting your friend ordained to perform the wedding? Your friend can get ordained online. Its free and legal. I'm a ULC minister so if you have questions feel free to pm me. To get the license to marry you'll have to go to the court house. Check your local laws in the state. Then the minister returns the signed marriage license to the court house.


    Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

  • universal life church will give someone a minister license and it is binding in all fifty stastes. it doesn't cost much. i did it years ago in order to marry a couple of friends. i have done several weddings and a funeral for a close friend.
    Good luck

    Answer by mamak57 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

  • My sister married us after being liscensed by the universal life church. It was easy, inexpensive, & you are free to have any kind of ceremony you wish, I wrote my own.

    Answer by nysa00 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

  • Yes, I am ordained and can preform wedding... I did it through the universal life church as well...

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.