my dd is 3 months and just went from 5 oz to 6 oz last week (formula). She seems to still be eating every 3 hrs. However, she is crying for it sometimes at 2 1/2 hours. Someone suggested I give her rice cereal by spoon in the morning. What do you think? If yes, would it be for her first feeding in place of the bottle? Or would I feed her the bottle first thing and her second feeding be the rice cereal? PLEASE ADVISE!!!! :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Still early for rice cereal *unless* directed by your doc. The AAP says 4-6 months to introduce solids.

If she's hungry for a bottle, give it to her. After all, baby only runs by her stomach alarm. She can't tell time yet. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 9:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Well with both my kids I started them on cereal around the same age! My daughter will be 6 & my son will be 2 in a few day!!! Everything was fine they stood fuller a lot longer, so I say if she/he is hungry feed them! Mix the formula with the cereal & feed it by spoon...
    jaidah917

Answer by jaidah917 at 9:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• the AAP recommends not trying solids until baby is about 6 months old. can cause digestive problems or allergies, i think that is the reason anyway. i would definitely wait.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I got one of those cereal bottles where you put the ceral in it and feed it.it workedfor me my dd was staying hungry even after a feeding.try that and see what happens.
    Stinkerbelle71

Answer by Stinkerbelle71 at 9:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I started all my kids on rice cereal at this same age. Not a full load...what I did, is I gave them a couple of ounces of formula. Then, took another bottle, mixed formula and rice cereal...like cream of wheat thickness and cut a small hole (so the rice cereal can get through but not too big) in the nipple and fed them a couple of ounces that way. Don't put too much rice cereal in as you don't want to constipate them either. Make sure they continue getting the liquid formula too. that's why for one feeding I did two bottles...one formula and one formula mixed with rice cereal. :)
    amznglf4

Answer by amznglf4 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Feed on demand. If she wants more at one feeding, give her more ounces. If she wants fed more often, feed her more often. Stop looking at the clock.

It is early for cereal. If/when you do start cereal, do so with a bowl and spoon.

Babies don't pay attention to how much they "should" be eating. They pay attention to how much they want to eat, how hungry they are and how often they are hungry.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• dont go by what a woman says talk to their pediatrician.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Feed her more. I was told not to start even watered down solids until 5 or six months. She could be going through a growth spurt and just needs a little more food. Talking to your Pediatrician is a good idea.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I am a health nut with my daughter. I started cereal at 2 1/2 months. I was breast feeding and I couldn't feed her enough to keep her satisfied. You just start with barely any cereal and a lot of formula it is pretty watery. And work you way up to a thicker consistency. It will take a while for get the hang of it. I would feed her before her bottle in the am so she is really hungry, then when ur done give her her regular bottle. Or do it at night she will sleep longer for you. Then when she gets the hang of it do it in the am and pm. And dont feed it through a bottle they need to learn to use a spoon it is good for them
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• "I am a health nut with my daughter. I started cereal at 2 1/2 months. I was breast feeding and I couldn't feed her enough to keep her satisfied. "

Ah, you were lokoing for the worng thing. Satisfied? They're not supposed to seem satisfied. **grin** They're just supposed to keep dirtying those dipes. 6-8 dipes a day means you WERE making enough. Baby's attitude is unimportant.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:02 AM on Sep. 14, 2009