Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

heartbreaking story

I cannot stop my heart from aching for a poor little baby in the intensive care unit right now. She was born to a heroine addict mother. (I used to be friends with her & was invited to the baby shower) She tried to have an abortion & every time she saved up the $$ she spent it on drugs. (I heard 2nd hand from someone else) I have 2 children myself & just cannot image a child without stability & love. Apparently her mother is going to step in with children's services. Her mother is not the responsible type to say the least. She isn't an addict, but lives an extremely unstable lifestyle. I just wish there was something I could do. I wish I could give that baby the love it deserves. Does anyone have advice? I don't think I would qualify for the foster parent program. If the mother agreed to it could she sign over custody to me without involving courts & such?


Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • without invoving courts all she could do is give u a provisional custody which is just temporary custody i had provisional custody of my daughter for 2 years before we adopted her..... all you need is a notary for provisional though.

    Answer by HannahLee87 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

  • At least your being honest that you cannot take care of the child and believe me it's hard. I took care of a child that was born with herione, and it was hard for me but my husband myself and my two boys took care of him for 1 year, he was as happy as he could be.

    Do you know any of her family who are willing to take the baby in. If you know this person you can probably talk her into signing the papers and let her know if best for her baby. Let her know also that she needs to be in good condition before getting her baby back. I guess what I'm saying is to encourage her to be clean and I know it's not going to be easy.

    I'll definetlly say a praper for her and you that you will have the right words to say to her..
    I think right now you will probably see if she needs a friend or not as you get to know once again it all takes patience.

    Answer by margodod at 9:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

  • She should be able to sign over all parental rights and sign over custody to you... or go through a couple short months and a couple court dates and get guardianship... anyone can apply for guardianship. im currently going through the steps to get guardianship of my sister. with my moms cooperation we should only have 2 court dates. the one saying WHY i want guardianship and then they investigate a little bit then back to get the approval. a lot of paperwork but worth it...
    wish i could be more of a help. my prayers go out to the baby and to you.... hope everything works out.

    Answer by trystons_mommy at 12:17 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

Next question in General Parenting
mad mad mad

Next question overall (Diet & Fitness)
Master Cleanse detox