My son is a bedtime hoarder...

My 2 1/2 year old boy has recently developed this hoarding habit, mainly at bedtime. He has FOUR blankets that he HAS to be covered up with (in a certain order), 5+ stuffed animals (depending on the day sometimes more), some baby toys, books, etc. Tonight he wanted to take his camera and about 5 books to bed with him...quite a tramatic experience when I told him no!

I don't know what to do, I cannot allow him to take that much stuff to bed with him but he gets so sad like I just killed his best friend...any suggestions?

EBeauty03

Asked by EBeauty03 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him a bedtime basket. Put all his bedtime stuff in it and tell him he can pick up to 3 things out to sleep with. He may fight at first but he will either get used to it or grow out of it. Good luck.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I have a basket with certain toys, books, stuffed animals. I keep it in there close to bed and she will usually play about 15mins and go to sleep. Let him help make basket. It seemed to work. I also made sure no noisy toys...
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 10:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Regardless of what others may say or think it is HARD to be the best parent you can be for your kids. We all want to give in to them. Who wants to hear crying and witness a meltdown? Unfortunately, setting rules and boundaries for our kids only helps them when you look at the big picture. I would choose a frim number of how many things he may take to bed. If books aren't on the list then they aren't an option. Give him the option to choose 2 or 3 things himself or you choose. Make the decision final. It is better to fight this fight at 2 than to let it go on and try to begin fighting it at 5 or 7. One more thing. Observe him carefully through his normal day. Is he repetitive in how he does things? Does he want to wash hands all the time or check light switches constantly? Anything that would be like ritual..he has to do it that way or no way kid of thing. OCD in children isn't unheard of. If you suspect see his Dr.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Blankets, stuffed animals and pillows are probably comfort items.. Toys however is just something he is probably trying to bush boundaries on. My son has a no toy rule when it's bedtime, it's bedtime you don't need a toy to sleep with (He usually ends up playing and not going to sleep) There will be crying and screaming but you just have to be consistent and tell him no he isn't allowed to take books and toys to bed with him.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My son did something similar when it came to reading books and rocking at bedtime. He would pile things into my lap. I drew the line at 3 blankets and 3 stuffed animals when I ran out of space in my lap! After a few weeks of this, he just stopped. If you don't want to limit it by number, you could also limit it to stuffed animals and blankets. You might also want him to decide a bit in advance of bedtime what's going to go to bed with him. That way whatever tantrum is going to happen, happens a bit in advance of bedtime giving him some settling down time before getting into bed.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:09 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My only rule is no hard toys. My 2 1/2 y/o has a barricade of stuffed animals around her in her bed and went to sleep with a hat on. When I go in later to check on her, I will take off the hat and maybe move a few things, but if that's what she needs to feel secure when sleeping, I don't think it's any big deal. I have a hard enough time getting her to stay in bed without taking all the stuff away. She would just get out and get it anyway.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 11:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2009