how do I find a good marage councler in my area one that will work with our budget?

My husbend and I are strugling both finatulay and emotionly. We have both agreed to councling but we dont know where to go. We heard that going to a church would get us free serveses but we dont atend and we dont know how to find one in the area being that we realy don't get out and would'ent know where to go!
If we keep fighting then I can't have my son down on the weekends and the boy is what I live for.

Seagull

Asked by Seagull at 10:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• well first off I want to say that its great that you are ogoing to go. I attend a church and they only give the first one free (actually we got two free). My husband and I went to counseling through our insurance and it went very well. WE didn't pay for 5 or 6 session and then we stopped, but it didn't take too much to get us back on track. It wasn't just counseling that helped us but also taking the time to actively listening to my husband, and making more of an effort to give him the respect that he may not have always deserved. I did the love dare (its a book) and am reading Love and Respect as well that is eye opening. But as far as finding a counselor, you don't know who you like until you try one. My suggestion is to pick someone that listens and asks questions that will direct the conversation rather than someone who gives advice.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Most communities have a crisis line or a mental health facility that offers counseling on a sliding scale fee or knows where you can go for free counseling. Call around. Personally i wouldn't go to a church counselor unless you wanted "church" as a part of the "free" service. They always guilt you into going in order to get service for free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2009