How do I get her to eat?

How do I get her to eat?
My daughter a is 18m and is eating about half a meal a day on a good day! She is still eating only a half jar of baby veggies. She has NEVER ate the fruits. She drinks a TON of whole milk. I have tired to not give her milk thinking she might get hungry but that is only making her upset. It is my theory that at least it is something. I have talked to my dr about it and he seems not to be worried about it. In addition to not eating she wont take the Vitamins either. I am very worried about her. Any advise is welcomed and appreciated .

aw226

Asked by aw226 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This might sound mean but if you want her to eat you might have to starve her alittle, I bet she'll want to eat then but give her something she will eat something that you know she likes alot. GL

If that doesn't work I am sure she is just going through a phase it will soon pass.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Cut the milk way back. She might be upset at first but she does have to have more than whole milk and a little bit of veggies. Just dont give in so easy. This is the start of the terrible 2's and if you start giving in now she will be out of control soon.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• You need to cut the milk out whether she cries or not don't give it to her. She is filling up on milk and not getting other nutrients that she needs from other foods. Also, she is old enough to start giving her 2% milk instead of whole milk.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Kalebsmommee you aren't supposed to give 2% until age's two and above because the fat in whole milk helps with the mylenation of their nerves. She doesn't need to get any more the 20oz of whle milk a day theough. if she throws a fit so be it, but she is getting older and they do that to assert their power. She will eat if she is hungry and if you stop giving her so much milk, btw why is she still eating baby food? She can eat adult foods now and I bet she might be more interested in those then she is the baby food purees.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• hehehe...sorry i can laugh because i'm there. although my son is a little older, ok alot older he's 2 1/2, but been doing this since about 18 months. the answer: you can't. just put it in front of them. if they don't eat, they'll be hungry later. SHE WILL EAT WHEN SHE'S HUNGRY. she wont' care what it is. till then though, what i do is give my son milk for breakfast and dinner ONLY. he's on regular cups now so he only gets a half a cup each time. as for the juice, V8 FUSION works GREAT! helps them get the veggies AND fruits, while at the same time keeps your nerves down on if she's eating right or not. :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:27 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• 2% milk is fine for them. Mine were on it from the very beginning. Fat is available from MANY other sources than milk! There is nothing magical at age one for milk, there is nothing magical at age 2 for 2% or lower fat milks.

She should only have 20-24oz of milk per day. Other than that, water....and not enough to keep her full.

Stop giving her babyfood. She should be on real food by now unless there is a medical problem.

Put her plate in front of her at mealtime. If she doesn't eat it, then fine....no food until the next meal. (no snacks)

She'll eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I have to tell you the jarred vegetable baby foods were not some of my babies popular foods either. As a matter of fact my son also clinged to his milk bottle too. When it comes to vegetables I found that even children have to adapt a liking for them. I would ask my pediatrician if you could alternate with other foods to satisfy your child's food requirements so your toddler isn't just drinking milk. The baby vitamins are important and need to be given to your baby every day.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:43 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I'd cut back on the milk (stick with whatever type milk your doctor recommends. We didn't move to low fat until 2) and move from baby veggies to regular veggies. She may be more interested if she's feeding herself and has more control. Keep trying different foods and offering healthy options. Limit snacks to healthy options as well. Toddlers won't starve!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I agree with many of the moms here. Unless directed by your pedi, she needs between 16 and 24 ounces of whole milk until age 2. Give her water in between meals. I'd also switch from baby food to table food. Remember, it may take many tries with a food until she likes it. Just make what you're going to make and give it to her. She'll eat when she's hungry.

Veggies can be tough but you can hide them pretty easily in other foods. You can cook and puree squash, carrots, sweetpotato and add them to mac n cheese or mix them in with spaghetti sauce.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 11:13 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I agree with many of the moms that say cut back on the milk. My DD is only allowed 8-10 oz a day (but that is for constipation reasons not anything else), one cup of 50/50 juice and water, and the rest water. If my LO chooses to not eat what she is given she has no snacks until she decides that she is hungry and then she is offered what she was given before. She will eventually eat. Children and especially toddlers won't starve themselves. You have to put your foot down and stop letting your child manipulate you. You are the parent and not your child. Food is the first thing they learn to manipulate and you may feel like a mean parent but it is your job to make sure that your child eats what they are supposed to. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2009