Routine pediatric bloodwork?

I just switched doctors & my 5 year old was sent for routine bloodwork. He has not had any health issues, thank God. She was testing him for lead, anemia, and glucose. I think that was it. Is this normal? If so, is it normal for my other doctor to have not tested him?

Amy82

Asked by Amy82 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Our practice does lead tests for all kids at 12, 24 and 36 months. Every dr should be testing for that because it's a very basic test (just a finger prick) and it's the sort of thing that can cause big trouble down the road.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I understand lead if he lives in a old house. but no my ped doesn't run those tests.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I've never had lead tested as a routine test.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Ours does a fingerprick for lead and iron. But that's only at 12 months and 24 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Every doc is different with different experiences, so what one does another may not. There is nothing wrong with running those tests, as they are very common childhood issues that also happen to be very treatable if caught early, but can be quite devastating if missed. Maybe this new doc just wants to establish a baseline for the future?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Yes, mine did that at 12 months and 24 months as well. If it hasn't been done, and that is routine for infants and todddlers at this office, then it makes sense that he had it done.

As pp said, those are common problem areas so it is becoming more routine for those to be tested.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• The only "routine" bloodwork for a child should be a lead test and that is only if you live in an old house with lead paint or lead pipes for plumbing.It is a fingerprick. My son is 13 years old and has never had routine bloodwork done.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2009