So, I found a pea-sized bump behind my 1-year-old son's ear.

I have read many places where it is either a cyst or lymph nodes.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

I'm going to bring him to the doctor at the end of the week if it's still there, just to make sure.

I swear, there is ALWAYS something to worry about!! =)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Has he had a cold lately?

There are lymphnodes there and if he has been sick they are probably just swollen. I'm sure he's ok. But if you are concerned you should ask his doctor.
    collinsmommy_06

Answer by collinsmommy_06 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• it is probably just a lymph node...I get huge ones and its usually when someone in my house is sick, its just the body fighting and doing its job to keep him healthy.

try giving him lots of liquids, well as much as a 1 year old will take to help the body flush it out, if you are still concerned a doctor will take a look for you
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• If he's had a virus like chickenpox or even a congested cold, swollen glands can remain enlarged for a very long time. That happened to us months after chickenpox. But take him to doctor anyway to be sure so he can measure it with you and track it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My daughter had this last year. I haven't felt them since, but she hasn't had a cold like that since either. She had a cold and she had about 2 or 3 bumps behind her ears. Scared the crap out of me, the dr. said they were lymph nodes.
    abootie

Answer by abootie at 11:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• 1000 anon here again - just to let you know, my son had the chickenpox in early june when he had them, and he was 2yo. The following Thanksgiving almost six months later he still had an enlarged gland from that illness. But we did check it out anyway further. Your doc can do complete bloodwork on him if he thinks he should if he's had it for a long time like my son did. That will tell more things about his white count and other parts of his blood too.

It's good you're aware of this no matter if he'd been sick recently or not. Just ask your doc to check it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• He's actually never been sick. He must be just fighting an infection that's going on somewhere in his body, that's the only thing I can think of.

I'm definitely going to bring him to the doctor this week, just so I can stop worrying about it.

Thanks for all the answers! It helps to hear other people have gone through it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Most likely a lymph node. A pea size is nothing to be concerned about, if it gets bigger or you notice a change then I would take him in.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 11:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Been there, done that! I found the same thing in my son's neck. Doctor said it was a lymph node and nothing to worry about. Take him in and get yourself peace of mind!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:49 AM on Sep. 14, 2009