Is ADHD a real disorder or just an excuse for parents?

Because it seems like there are waay too many cases of it now-a-days than there were back when we were kids. It seems to me kids become ADHD because they lack guidence and interaction with people. Perhaps at an early age they lacked that human connection they needed which is the reason they misbehave alot. Plus it seems like doctors are coming up with another way for parents to chuck more money their way to sell out on prescription drugs to kids at an earlier age. That's just my opinion.

Your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Health

• It's real....my daughter has ADD and my brother has ADHD. It's not from lack of discipline or guidance it has been linked to Autism as well.  It's like Dyslexia there is a wiring problem in the brain.   

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Why is it more common these days? It seems like it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Could there be something in the water? Maybe because more people now-days get the epideral? COuld that cause hay-wiring in the brain? Why is it so common these days?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I beiieve it's a real disorder, but I also believe it is overused and SOME children are getting misdiagnosed by Drs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I think that it is both, a real disorder for some and a lack of discipline and guidance for others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Its both. There are children out there who are truly affected with it, but I would say about half the kids on meds for it are just high spirited or have lazy parents
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Bad parenting does not create ADD. Bad parents do creates brats. ADD seems to run in some families.
    You do have to choose your battles but you do need to be MORE on top of the child. They have to learn their limits.
    It is very hard on the parents. The better educated on ADD the better it will be on the whole family.

Also if the mother did drugs while prego the child may get ADD.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I have ADHD. My dh has ADHD. Both my kids have ADHD. So, my opinion is that yes, ADHD is a REAL condition. It is often misdiagnosed & over diagnosed. There are other conditions that have some of the same symptoms & people often jump first to ADHD. However, that does not mean that it is not a real condition. It is & it affects many people.
    Not all people with ADHD are on meds. Milder cases often don't need meds. Those who are on meds are also usually in therapy to help them learn to deal with & work with their condition. Some use meds temporarily to help the child's attention while they learn to work with thier condition, then take them off the meds.
    It is a real condition & depending on the severity, can cause many problems in a person's life. It's not an issue of bad parenting, it's a legitimate medical condition.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 11:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I understand what you all are saying. I know that it is real, but as I said, it seems like more people have it these days and it seems that doctors ARE over diagnosing behavior that is merely just someone being expressive and DIFFERENT from other people. God help us from being different from other people! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I know I'm getting tired of this question. Unless you've dealt first hand with one of these kids, you won't understand. How can you continue to ignore all the research done by the medical field? It is a very real condition indeed, and perhaps the reason why it's becoming more common is because they have done more research and their is much more help for behavioral disorders than ever before. I am sure that is overdiagnosed to some degree, but that doesn't mean their aren't kids out there facing this problem. Just because you can't see something or understand it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2009