How do i get an 8 yr old to want to do work?

anytime it is time to read write or anything with school she stalls and complains or just daydreams. I can not leave her to do a simple task such as copying a definition from the book to a notebook with out it taking forever. Please if anyone has a suggestion please i am desperate.. :(

Shea-mom

Asked by Shea-mom at 11:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in

• Do you give her down time after school or is it straight to the books as soon as she walks through the door? I had the same prob with my 8 year-old daughter. But she has Dyslexia. When doing homework break it down don't let her get overwhelmed.  Break it into sections doing a little at a time in 15-30 minute intervals.  I know it sounds crazy but it keeps her from getting overwhelmed.  When a child gets overwhelmed they tend to shut down and not pay attention and daydream.  And you must sit with her or be close by so you can ENCOURAGE her.  Positive reinforcement is key.  Make a chart to reward her.  A star chart works well.  If she goes say all day without daydreaming or stalling then she gets a star.  When she gets 5 stars she gets a prize of some kind.  Say a trip to the dollar store or quality time with mom or dad.  Hope this helps...GL 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Do one task at a time. Read then go outside after 10min. than do math, than do something fun for 10min. (some schools are doing this to keep them alert)
    It will be hard on you but this when she needs to stay on top because things will get harder.
    Positive reinforcement with happy faces on her work would be great. Always be positive.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I homeschool my kids (13, 7, 4). I had a real problem keeping my son (13) on task. It would take him all day, and he still wouldn't finish his work. I set goals for them every day. I started paying them for each goal they met. I printed out a chart of things they need to accomplish during the day. Morning routine (make bed, brush teeth, brush hair, dirty clothes, etc), school (set goals for each subject), chores (they take turns washing dishes, washing clothes, and sweeping). For each thing they accomplish during the day they get pennies (according to their age). Each morning before we start our day, we gather in the living room and go over things from the day before and I put money in jars on the mantle for each of them. On Sunday, DH & I count the money they earned during the week and figure how much their tithe is. We give them their tithes for church, and then pay them the balance. All kids like getting money.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 12:13 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Down time helps. We do homrwork time together after dinner. My daughter sits on the couch with her snack tray and I am usually at the table...what can I say she's more tidy and one worksheet takes up less space lol.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• She may have some attention issues. Try eliminating junk foods and adding a fish oil supplement (use a good one, like Nordic Naturals)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:56 AM on Sep. 15, 2009