whats the point?

So my dh and his friends are spending $200.00 on a screenwritting software program because they want to write a script. Now i know that my dh is a very good writter. he has taken classes and he is very funny.But, we live in Portland oregon. we don't know ANYONE in the entertainment industry and so i have to ask my self....whats the point of them spending that much money on software like that when nothing will come of it? I know that writting a movie is his dream and i do support him trying to write but, when you KNOW nothing will come of it then why spend that much money why not just write it on microsoft word or something like that? what do you all think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• My question is- How do you KNOW that nothing will come out of it? What if every famous actor, writer, person, etc had someone tell them that they KNOW that nothing will come out of them going to Hollywood and trying to make their dream come true. My advice- encourage your husband and support his dream. If you can't afford to pay $200 right now for screenwriting software then let your husband know that right now is not a good time to invest that much money. Offer to help him put aside X amount of money each day, week, month, etc until he reaches his $200 goal. But whatever you do, please don't tell him nothing will come out of this. You may be right, but what if you are wrong?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:05 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I am not sure if this is your divorced husband you are talking about or your husband but I will try to answer this the best I can. Well if it is your divorced husband I would have to say let him buy the software, it shouldn't affect you. However if this is your husband you should have a talk with him about a budget for buying it. Also, to even out the deal maybe, if he buys the software maybe he can buy something for you or your kids if you have a family. Either way I think if this is something he is really passionate about and wants to do you should let him buy the software, because maybe something will come out of it. Buying the software is just a start! I would save money and budget so that way it doesn't affect the finances.
    Halfmoonwife

Answer by Halfmoonwife at 12:19 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• OP here - we are married and have one kid a daughter who is 3 and I do support his dreams I haven't said and i won't say anything to him about buying the software i guess i just needed a place to vent because i am frustrated that he is spending this money when we should be saving for Christmas. I hope that something comes out of it if when he finishes the script but i am just being realistic. I mean we live in Portland OR so all he can do is mail his script to studios that receive thousands of scripts a day and hope someone notices his and that is very unlikely. It would be wonderful if they did I guess I just don't get why he cant write a script using microsoft word which we already have ya know?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• "It would be wonderful if they did I guess I just don't get why he cant write a script using Microsoft word which we already have ya know?" Have him go to a bookstore and pick up a book about getting screen work published. There will be a list of all the companies that take screen-work, where to send them, who to send them too, and most importantly- how they want them sent. Some companies, may just want the manuscript sent in Microsoft word, but other companies may want it already done on Screenwriting software. This may give him the upper hand if the majority of the companies want it done this way. Would it be possible for you to get this software as a Christmas gift for him? If he wants to start now, he can start on Microsoft word for the companies that want it completed by using Microsoft Word and then can transfer it over to the software later.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:08 AM on Sep. 14, 2009