how much drink should he have?

My DS (and me) have a cold/flu bug. He hasn't really wanted to eat or drink anything since yesterday. He has had 2 glasses of apple juice, a sprite (DH brought it home to try to tempt him) and one glass of water in the last 24+ hours while running medium fevers. I am starting to worry he is getting dehydrated, but he wont drink anymore. Sx's are runny nose, medium fever, and very very sleepy. Help please? I don't want to call the doc unless I have to as they are getting hit hard with swine flu outbreak here (and I am worried about that too)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• How old is he? Is he in diapers? Do you watch how many times he goes to potty if he's not in diapers? Have you tried taking a syringe (the ones you use to give medicine with at home) and filling it and seeing if he will drink out of that, Does he like ice pops? Take some kool aid or gator aid or those pedialyte (sp?) freezer pops and let him have at those.... If you can't get him to drink and he's not going potty/wetting diapers like normal, take him to the er.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Op here, actually that is what is worrying me, he is 3 and not fully potty trained yet. He is almost going through the pullups faster than normal and cannot seem to wake up enough to tell me when he needs to go. He takes one bite or sip of anything I offer him and then is done. he has eaten a dozen french fries, four raisins and about a dozen goldfish crackers today. yesterday he ate some cereal, a fruit-snack packed from his grandma, and a few goldfish crackers (his favorite food).
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:13 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• The smell and color of urine can clue you to dehydration as well, The darker it is the more dehydrated he is. Generally dehydrated urine gives a bad oder that gets stronger the more dehydrated he is. I would call his dr in the morning, and keep trying to give him liquids! I hope that every thing turns out ok!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• popsicles and ice chips are usually well received by kids when they are not feeling well. I agree watch the color and odor of his urine. Even small sips every few hours help. GL hope he feels better soon.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Fever and cold symptoms, flu outbreaks in your area...you should have already called the doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I agree with Anon :46 you're having a flu outbreak and you haven't called his pediatrician yet? YOU NEED TO!!! Don't wait around.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• It wouldn't do much good to call the dr. They only will test for swine flu if you have SEVERE symptoms. With just these mild symptoms they will just tell you to give him Motrin and Tylenol for the fever and keep him hydrated. Try to give him fruits because they have water in them. Popsicles, otter pops, ice chips, Pedialyte, Water down his favorite juices a little. NO CAFFIENE and very few salty foods as these will dehydrate him. Kepp up the good work mama! I hope your LO feels better soon!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2009