Christmas budget?!

Ok so im writing my christmas list early this year so we dont get overwhelmed with shopping. Im determined to get most done by Thanksgiving (excluding things that will for sure be on sale on black friday). Anyways I am trying to come up with a budget so I dont overspend. If i have written down what im going to buy and the exact amount ill obey it, if not im in big trouble lol. Anyways. We have to buy for our brothers and sisters (range of ages between 19 and 3). Our nephew, a couple young cousins (between 5 and 12) our parents, a few close friends and each other oh and our DD of course! Now I am trying to figure out how much is a reasonable amount to spend on these people. I also was wondering how much do you spend on your little ones? My DD is 2 1/2. How about your relatives?

OliviasMommy614

Asked by OliviasMommy614 at 1:38 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Holidays

• I don't have many people to buy for. lol. I don't usually spend more than $50 on my own kid.

DH usually picks what he wants in advance and I simply pick it up for him while I'm out. Same goes for me. We usually set a $50 limit for each - depending on our budget at the time. Sometimes it's less.

Then I have my parents, my brother, my grandparents, and my in-laws. My parents insist not to spend money on them, but I usually get them each something small. I spoil my brother, badly. lol. My grandparents usually get a keepsake or something hand-made, and my in-laws usually get necessities because when we ask them what they want, it's always something they *need*, like slippers...lol.
    jessiferzzz

Answer by jessiferzzz at 1:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• As a non-Christian, I am constantly amazed at the odd ways that Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus: debt, trees and other Pagan rituals, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Christian here. No debt never had any debt either. We do the tree but with an angel on top. We do stockings but only becuase we have nothing better to pu the candy and oranges in. We do not do santa or anything relating to santa. As for your question depends on your budget. I would sit down with a total amount you wnat to spend on everyone who is not dd or dh. Then make up a seperate amount for dd and dh. Divde the amount up by nuimber of people. That way you know how much to spend on each person.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:07 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• my inlaws are getting dirt clods again for Christmas this year, so maybe i shouldn't answer this question. they seemed not too thrilled with their dirt clods last year, kindof like how i felt for the last 25 years ya know?
    personally i think 25 bucks is plenty for an adult relative, but kids are different. if you have little family members you are sweet on, get them what they ask for or what their parents say they have been asking for.
    my family is a different story, they spend alot on my kids and I only have one blood nephew on that side so I spend alot on my siblings and their spouses, 50 or more for each one.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:38 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• oh and my nephew, i will get for him whatever it is that my sister says he is asking for whatever the price. my other neices and nephews are related by step-parents and are all adults now so i dont buy for them.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:41 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• The adults in my family pick a name out of a hat at Thanksgiving and we only buy for one person, max limit of $50. We all buy for all of the kids, with a max spending limit of $10-12/child, there are 12 kids including mine. But it's easy because my brother wrote a "gift tracker" program where you go in and make your own "wish list" with the item, a description, the store, and the price. Other family members can go in and tag whatever item they're getting you so there are no duplicates. It makes it super easy to buy things for people that they really want instead of something they'll just go exchange.
    For my kids we have a limit usually of $150/child - this year I have 4. We'll go cheaper on the baby but my other 3 are 8, 9 and 11 - they have expensive wants lol
    And we budget and save early in the year - no debt.

Answer by missanc at 9:56 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I usually make a complete list. Each person that is put on it and what they will get. Our older nieces get gas cards bc they both drive and have a car and like getting it.
    We have 6 grandchildren and 2 step-grandchildren with us having custody of our 8yr old gs who does get a bit more.
    Then we have my MIL & SIL my mother, 2 sisters (always easy to buy for ) a nephew and his gf and my 2 dd's and dh's 2 children (all grown) we try to stay within $30-45 ea person except for the children...
    I also make gift baskets so many of the family members get those along with homemade cookie baskets...
    As for debt... we don't do debt... it's all cash or nothing...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Honestly, we don't buy gifts for our family members. We usually just get family pics taken and give them with the cards we send out. Some years i bake cookies and make fudge and give baskets to everyone. But that's about it. When it comes to my hubby and the kids, i go all out! lol. I spend about 200 bucks on each kid, ages almost 3 and almost 5. And i spend anywhere from 2-600 on hubby. But this year there will more than likely be less gifts under the tree. It's just a bad year for my family financially. All that matters is we spend the holiday together. I'm trying to do some early shopping whenever we have some extra cash after bills. So far so good! : o )
    Ali-Rippy

Answer by Ali-Rippy at 5:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

Well as a Christian, i know that you can celebrate christmas with trees and other family traditions and still celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. We not only have a lovely tree in our house, but also a well displayed manger scene in our front yard for all to see.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Don't mind rkoloms she is miss know it all perfect mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2009