Schedule?!

So my DD really isnt on a schedule, which is bad I know. No bashing please. She is 2 1/2. Other moms out there with toddlers, what kind of schedule do you have your little ones on? What time do they wake up? Take a nap? Eat lunch? Go to sleep? Snack time? Any tips on transitioning from a non schedule to a schedule routine?

OliviasMommy614

Asked by OliviasMommy614 at 1:40 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Okay.. this is my schedule. My fiancee's mom told me this one..

wake up at 7:30am to 8am
    Breakfast
    Nap at 11:00am to 1pm or 12:00 to 2pm ((NO LATER THAN 2pm))
    Lunch
    Playtime/snacks
    Bath at 7:00pm to 7:30pm
    In Bed by 8:00pm

They SHOULD be asleep no later than 9:00pm to 9:30pm.

Took me about a week to a week and a half to get them on it and working great!!

Good luck to you! Message me if you need anymore info. . My son is 2 and daughter is 1 and both on the schedule.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 1:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We have a schedule, but it is kind of relaxed. My son is almost 1 & 1/2.

He usually wakes between 6:30 and 7, and he usually wants a bottle then.
    Breakfast at 8-ish.
    Snack and a bottle at 10.
    Nap time is difficult. Sometimes he's tired at 11, sometimes not until 2. If he naps early we do lunch when he wakes up. If not, lunch is usually at 12 or 12:30
    Snack at 3-ish.
    Dinner at 5-ish.
    Bath time is usually shortly after dinner.
    Bed time is between 8 and 9, depending on his nap. He usually has a bottle before bed.

The best thing to do, IMO, is to ease into the schedule. Start by having her nap and go to bed around the same time(s) every day, and then everything else just kind of falls into place.
    jessiferzzz

Answer by jessiferzzz at 1:51 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I have been trying to get my dd (22 mos) on a schedule! Our goal is up at 8am, and in bed at 9. Everything else should fall into place as long as we do wake up and night time regular! My problem is staying up too late and getting ME time plus housework done then getting up too late! So, mommy has to have a bedtime of 1130 instead of 2-3 am!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:04 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Just do it. Decide what you want and do it. Start with meals. I find it hard to believe there are no set meal times. She should be eating when you eat by now.

Ours (times are approximate)

up at 6:30am
    Breakfast around 7:15
    Brother to bus at 8:10
    Therapy about 10:30
    Lunch about 11:30
    Down for nap about 12
    Up no later than 2...snack time
    2:30 leave to get oldest brother from school
    4pm home and play time
    6pm supper
    8pm bed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My son is 2 1/2. Here's our schedule:

Up between 7 and 7:30
    Breakfast - around 9 or 9:30 (he won't eat when he first gets up. Just has some milk and plays.)
    Lunch - around 11:45 (I tend to skp morning snacks since he eats breakfast late)
    Naptime - around 12:45. Usually asleep by 1 and up by 2:30.
    Snack - around 3:00
    Dinner - around 6:00; maybe a little earlier. he usually eats with us.
    Bathtime - 6:45.
    Bedtime - into his room for reading/rocking around 7:45. Into bed around 8:00. He's usually asleep within 10 minutes.

I'd adjust your schedule a little at a time starting with what's most important to you then work your way back from there. Having said all that, if you're non-scheduled life works for you and your child, trying to add too much structure may actually make things harder for you. Only add as much structure as you and your family really need. GOod luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My boys will be 3 in Nov. and 2 in Dec. We have a schedule but it isn't based on time. We just do the same things every day in the same order.
    they wake up, eat breakfast
    play time, craft time or we run errands
    lunch time
    nap time
    play time, if nice we go to the park
    snack sometime in the afternoon
    dinner when dh gets home
    if dh works late then baths are before dinner if not, baths are after dinner
    play with dh while I clean up the kitchen and such after dinner
    bed (usually ends up being between 8:30 and 9:30)

My boys are very flexible. I think some people may look at our day and think we don't have a schedule, but at the same time the boys know what to expect what is coming next.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My twins are 21/2 (they'll be 3 in Nov). They've essentially been on the same schedule since they were 6 mos old (with the exception of naps of course).

We start the bed time routine between 7 and 7:30 and they sleep until between 6:30 and 7 the next morning. They dropped their nap this summer but when they did nap every day, I'd put them down at 1p.m.

I would recommend you try the following: if her bed time would be considered on the late side, start by moving it back gradually over the course of a few nights. About 20-30 minutes should do it. Also, start getting her up at the same time each morning. I'd aim for waking her by 7a.m. if she doesn't already do so on her own. If she still needs a nap, try to keep her busy during the morning and aim for putting her down to nap after lunch. You may need to lay with her if she's in a bed. If she's in a crib, just put her down and see what happens.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 11:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Con'td.
    Establishing a nap/night time routine is key as well. You need to be consistent so it has to be something you can stick to.

When the boys napped, it was the same thing every day: lunch at noon, watch Thomas the Train after lunch, and then down for a nap. When we took the sides off the cribs I had to lie in the room with them to get them to stay in bed and sleep. Some days they'd be out quick and I could get some stuff done and others I'd end up napping with them.

Our evening routine hasn't changed much since they were 6 mos old: dinner is between 5 and 6, they have a bath right after supper, then it's quiet family time (quiet play, watch tv), at 7 (or shortly after) we take them to brush teeth, put overnight diapers on, and story time in bed. DH says goodnight and then I stay to rock one of them for a few minutes. Then I put him back in bed, sit in there for about 5 minutes or so, and then I leave.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 11:05 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• This is it I promise!

Our eating schedule is much like it was when they were infants: they eat every three hours basically.
    7a.m. breakfast, 10a.m. snack, 12pm lunch, 3pm snack, 6pm supper
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 11:08 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• 15 mos
    I started a routine when she was 12 weeks old.
    up between 9 and 10 am
    eat breakfast
    nap usually 2-3 hours after waking.
    If it is closer to 3 hours then we have lunch first
    sleep as long as she needs (1 1/2-4 hours) just depends on her
    if a shorter nap then she will need a 2nd before dinner.
    Diner is between 6 and 7
    bath at 7:30
    bed at 8

Our schedule is basically child led. I don't keep her overly busy and our day isn't overly busy as well. I just let her go with the flow. She ended up with a super late nap on Saturday and is no worse for the wear b/c we were out for the better part of the day. I think that if you pay attention to your child then you will be okay. I like to make sure that dinner, bath and bedtime are planned and the rest takes care of itself.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:34 AM on Sep. 14, 2009