how to study

Im 39. I have a three year old, four year old, I have hypothyroid, diabetes, pcos, but am pregnant (about 12 weeks now) and I am in nursing school.

I go to all my lectures and labs. I didnt finish high school because I was homeless and famililess and I couldnt afford my rent so I dropped out of senior year and worked more hours. At the age of 29 I took the GED test and passed without classes so I know Im not dumb. I am in my first semester and when I go to lecture, it seems the teacher buzzes through 2 chapters at a time, not letting the info sink in, its like a self taught class I don't even know why the teacher gets credit. Biology atoms, ecosystems, blah blah, I have 4 chapters at once to test on. I go to lecture class 3 hours monday night, then have lab and quiz every wednesday night. She talks so fast that I cant write all she is writing in my notes, how to study half notes? How am I ever going to pass? Advice?

tsjpop

Asked by tsjpop at 2:14 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in

• Get a tape recorder! That was a lifesaver for me in my Geology class in college. Also, if you type faster than you can write, laptops are wonderful. My aunt and uncle bought me one for graduation from high school and it was the best thing I had for college. Listen for key words during the lecture and jot down as much as you can, but leave room to add to it. Don't try to write everything. Go back into your books later and find what the teacher was talking about and read/re-read that and add to your notes. If all else fails, go to the teacher after class sometimes and double check what you got. If you know what chapters you'll be going over in class, try to read them before class and take notes, that way you'll have some idea of what's being said. Between classes, consolidate your notes from your reading and the lecture and keep them organized! Good luck mommy, hope this helps some! Kudos to you for going back to school!!!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:23 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Oh, and going over your notes as soon as you can after class can really help you retain the information better. Don't stress about it, just do your best and you'll be fine! :)
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:24 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• congrats on your pregnancy and for continuing your studies! maybe try lookin on the net about the stuff you are studying and see if the key points mentioned remind you of something the teacher said in class. it might help jog your memory. also, you might could sort of train yourself to notice what kind of things she likes to quiz you on, if she has a particular style, then you might know more what to listen for. i have never been to college but was pretty good at studying in school, i just kind of had a knack for it, and i found that highlighting and making my notes as organized as possible helps. of course, its hard to organize whats not there, huh! also, check ur bookstore for study help books! they do make books that teach you how to study better, so it might help! good luck :)
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 2:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I had a geography teacher in college who had the most monotone voice - you couldn't tell when she was switching between notes and just talking - drove me nuts. I had to take a recorder and record her lectures. Once I realized how convenient it was I started recording ALL of my classes. Of course I had added expense with all the tapes - I was full time. The recorder was a wonderful tool.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:34 AM on Sep. 14, 2009