How to describe a "whistle blowing" situation at a job prospect?

This is a sincere question. Thanx :-)

I released some vendor info to the state's tax representative. Being that it was government, I didn't hesitate. As a result, when that rep proceeded to collect more infothan I can provide, my name was brought up, and I got a "talking". I called the representative to tell him to not repeat my name next time if I am to provide info. I also asked him that if I were to lose my job, if I can use him as a reference. He agreed. Now I am applying for a higher paying job.

Situation description - the event organizer didn't want to harrass the vendors over taxation, in fear of losing those vendors, thus losing vendor fees. So silence on their part was golden.

Being that talking bad about a previous employer is not kosher in an interview, how can I describe my need to leave my employer with finesse?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• I wouldn't go into detail. Say something like i was looking for better pay, or to find a position that would give me room to grow and expand my knowledge. or i was looking for a position that is more challenging.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:21 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• hard one. No one wants a tatle-tail, but most want an honest person with intregity. I would probably say you are looking for advancement becsue you are ready for more responsibilty and growth in your field. If the subject comes up, more than a mere reference would help. I would press this person for a written letter of reference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• According to Yahoo Jobs - "Distracting conflicts between management and employees" but the best one is "not enough room for advancement" or "Looking to move closer to career goals (This was a position to increase my knowledge in the workforce, but now I would like to start working in a field that is closer to my career) "
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:27 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I agree with the other pps.

If you're pressed, or if they ask you about it specifically (say, for example, they've already heard something about it "through back channels"), then I would probably say something like this...

"I've appreciated the opportunities that have been given to me at my current job, however for personal as well as professional growth opportunities I think it's best for me to seek employment elsewhere, with a company that's more in keeping with my personal and professional standards and goals. Which is why I've applied here, because, from my research, you are the ____ (the leading company in--, or the fastest growing company for ----, or are so widely known for your professional ethics and good business practice, or whatever.)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• You don't need to say more than: you are looking for an opportunity with a better career track.

So get your Linkedin profile updated, start going to networking events, and find that new opportunity!!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on Sep. 14, 2009